Views
Helpful
Replies

Re: Using the debug command ....

sanjaynadarajah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My question is with regards to using the debug command. All Cisco notes say to use debugging with caution as the cpu utilization can spike very high.

Example if I were to turn debugging on to check on the serial interface connections by turning on the 'debug serial inteface', it should be okay as the debugs would be only for the serial interface of the router only as oppose to turning on 'debug ip packet' which would cause a high cpu utlization.

That being said, I am interested to know if there is a benchmark on when can we turn on the debug command so that it won't bring down the router ? ie) say when the CPU util is at 10%, it is

okay to turn on debugging ....

Thank you,

Cheers,

- sn -

2 Replies 2

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Sanjay

I would suggest not to run debug during peak hours though the cpu utilization is low.

though the utilization is low at a particular point of time and the process/object which u try to analyze using debug see spurious activity it may have a direct effect on the CPU utilization.

Because of the same cpu utilization can reach the max and may result in downtime.

So better to try out debugging during off-peak hours though u see very less utilization.

regds

Hi spremkumar,

Thank you for the reply. The thing which is not clear to me is what percentage of CPU util is considered low ? Is 5% considered low or 25% considered low ? This is what I am interested to know.

Thanks,

Cheers,

- sn -

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: