Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring an interface using Ciscoworks

leo_zidane
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I will like monitor an interface utilization and up / down state using Ciscoworks so that it can trigger alert when the link is down or utilization is high?

Can tell me the steps to do this? e.g. Going to device fault manager and later configure "what" there.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Setting the Managed State to true will allow DFM to manage the interface.

If all you care about are OperationallyDown events, then go to DFM > Configuration > Polling and Thresholds > Managing Thresholds, select the Interface group you care about, click Edit, and disable all thresholds for the Generic interface/port performance settings. This way, you will only get an event when the interface goes down.

The thresholds apply to all interfaces in a given type group (e.g. 1 GB Ethernet, ATM, Backup, etc.).

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Device Fault Manager application within CiscoWorks LMS does this. It checks interfaces to make sure they are up, and can watch raw utilization to see if it crosses a threshold (40% by default).

If you need to change the utilization threshold, go to DFM > Configuration > Polling and Thresholds > Manage Thresholds, and choose your interface group (e.g. 1 GB interfaces). Then Edit the threshold value for utilization.

Actually i see it is only error, collision and etc threshold setting. If i set the percentage in all the parameters, ciscoworks will also check whether the interface is up or down. Am i right?

How to apply to that particular interface i wanted ciscoworks to monitor?

Thanks alot

If you go to DFM > Device Management > Device Details, and bring up the Detailed Device View for a device, you will see the Interface list. Each interface whose managed state is true will be polled for operational status. If the interface is administratively up, but operationally down, you will get an event indicating the interface is OperationallyDown.

If you change an interface's managed state from false to true, you will then need to go to DFM > Configuration > Polling and Thresholds > Apply Changes to get that change to take effect. Likewise, any changes you make under the Threshold Settings need to be applied before DFM will take the new values into account.

It is under interface status> Port> change the managed state to "true" and reapply the Polling and Thresholds. Am i right?

If i just wanted to check for up or down, how can i do it? Need to configure the Polling and Thresholds?

For the polling and threshold setting, is it a global command which apply to all the ports?

Setting the Managed State to true will allow DFM to manage the interface.

If all you care about are OperationallyDown events, then go to DFM > Configuration > Polling and Thresholds > Managing Thresholds, select the Interface group you care about, click Edit, and disable all thresholds for the Generic interface/port performance settings. This way, you will only get an event when the interface goes down.

The thresholds apply to all interfaces in a given type group (e.g. 1 GB Ethernet, ATM, Backup, etc.).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco