mattbauer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

Here's my setup:

---VLAN200---server1

r1---VLAN100---l3sw1---VLAN200---server2

---VLAN200---server3

l3sw1 has vlan interfaces configured for VLAN100 and VLAN200 and is routing between the two.

Each server is on the same VLAN (200) and needs to reach r1 and beyond.

However, I dont want the servers to be able to communicate with each other.

I dont believe private VLAN's will work here and I think MAC access lists would be possible but get quite messy with many hosts on VLAN 200.

Are there any other options?

TIA

10 Replies 10

lee.reade
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

You can do this via switchport protected,

basically when two ports are configured with this command, they cannot communicate with each other directly, they can only communicate with ports in that vlan that are not configured with switchport protected!

HTH.

Cheers

LR

Great Info LR, but I have an extra Q.

Does this affect only the VLAN in which Switchport Protected is configured?

Say I have server 1 in vlan 10 with sw protected, and I have server 2 in vlan 20 also with switchport protected - can the server 1 still communicate with server 2 ? Is the protected mode only locaclly significant to the vlan or does it span the switch fabric?

Hi,

This strictly a layer 2 and local to the switch thing, so in the scenario you describe, server 1 and server 2 will be able to communicate, they will route via their default gateway to other server.

For blocking server to server on different vlans, you should look at configuring access-list on the default gateway interfaces.

HTH,

Cheers,

LR

I never knew about switchport protected - this would be great to make mini broadcast domains on a server vlan.

Thanks for the info LR.

Switchport protected is locally significant - so if you had a protected port in say vlan 10, it would be able to communicate with a protected port in vlan 10 on another switch.

However if they are in different vlans (and there is no L3 device providing inter-vlan communication) they would not be able to communicate anyway.

Hi LR, all

Thanks for the info. I didnt know about the "switchport protected" command. That looks great, but I have one further possible requirement. There may be a situation where one or two servers *will* need to talk to each other, but not to anyone else on that VLAN. It doesnt look like switchport protected command has any flexibility.

Any other thoughts on this?

Thanks

(PS, I didnt realize my diagram screwed up when I posted it. It's incredibly simple, but Ive attached it again here, just in case).

If you have a couple of servers that need to talk to each other, but no-one else - would you be able to put them in their own VLAN?

No, I cant do that. This particular setup is very restrictive. I dont have any flexibility to change the VLAN.

But I think it's ok. Im pretty sure the switchport protected will be enough.

Thanks everyone for the help.

I just realized that this command ("switchport protected") is not supported on my 4948.

I do have "switchport port-security", but it doesnt look like that's what I want. It seems to be used for locking down based on MAC address.

"switchport protected" was perfect. Is there something like this I can use on my 4948 running 12.2(31)SGA4?

You might be able to use vlan access-maps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card