cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

getting config out of non-booting 2811

tato386
Level 6
Level 6

I have a 2811 that crashes when trying to load the IOS in memory. I can see it decompressing the image but its not able to load it. I have a new chassis that I want to use but I need to get the config out of the bad chassis. How can I do this? Can I use the rommon? If not do I have other options? Can I physically move the NVRAM chip from bad to good chassis?

Thanks,

Diego

17 Replies 17

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your best bet is to go into rommon, initialize flash (if it isn't already) and see if you can copy the startup-config to flash. Let us know how it goes.

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

If I remember correctly you can view the config in rommon using these commands.

flash_init

more nvram:startup-config

Should display the config in rommon.

Mark

*Edit* It could also be

more nvram:/startup-config

Please post if more works, it's not available in the devices I tested with.

Sorry "flash_init" is not available neither is "more". Right now I am going to try to load a small IOS in zDRAM and hope I can get the router to boot from that. "Regular" IOS is a CCME voice version.

Wish me luck

Diego

Try a dir /all or just dir and see if you see the flash card.

dir only works like this "dir flash:" which is nice but I would need to see the nvram not the flash. Still trying to boot an IP base OS from DRAM to see if I can they get access to nvram.

Thanks,

Diego

That's sounds good, I keep getting permission denied on nvram:startup-config. I'll see if I can get it working for future reference.

That's probably your best bet to boot a different IOS from a CF card.

Looks like I am SOL. The router will not boot any IOS from any device flash or DRAM. At one point I saw a file called AUTOSAVE on the flash but it dissapeard before I had a chance to display it. Could that have been the config I was lookig for? Where did it go?

Anyway, I find it hard to believe that there is no other way to access the NVRAM other than via the IOS but for now I must give up and rebuild the router config from scratch.

Thanks,

Diego

TAC might be able to help too.

I tried them but they didn't have the silver bullet I was looking for.

Diego

Find another router that takes the CF card. Rommon on the proper IOS, then pull out the config. Not quick, but it should get the job done.

Sorry but if it was that simple I would have my config already. The config is not on the CF card. It is in the NVRAM which is built into the motherboard. I have not found any technique that will copy data out of the NVRAM on the motherboard without booting an IOS and my router will not boot any IOS at this time.

Thanks,

Diego

Most IOS boot failures are due to bad/insufficient ram, image corruption, or sometime, configuration issues.

Have yo ruled out all three in trying to boot your router ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card