Views
Helpful
Replies

Is a router right for us?

racetrack
Level 1
Level 1

And if so.. which one?

As our business is moving to a new location, we are taking this time to update and properly configure our network.

We have roughly 20 clients throughout our network. The majority of our networks traffic is internal (i.e. communicating with our SQL server). Roughly 5-6 clients will be using the internet for email and web browsing purposes.

We currently use a small D-link router to connect the WAN (internet) to the switches throughout our network. Attached is a diagram I created of our network. What I'm planning on doing is replacing our D-Link router with a Cisco router that has VPN & Firewall capabilities. Something from the 1800 or 2800 series.

My question is ... is this the right move? Is a router what we really need or is our network not setup properly in the first place?

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, yes you would benefit from a router. I you have adsl, you can be OK with a 1801. A 2801 would let you use it a PBX with the cisco phone and do voip to a SIP provider if you like. It comes out a very nice system.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Our internet connection is a wireless broadband connection provided by Terago Networks. Speeds are generally between 1.5 and 3 mbps. The connection to our network is a standard ethernet cable.

I'm not entirely familiar with Cisco products so please bare with me if this seems like a amateur question. From what I can tell when you buy a Router like the 1801 or 2801 it comes with only routing capabilities. Things like having a Firewall, wireless LAN or VPN connection capability are software/hardware upgrades you have to purchase separately. Is this a correct assessment?

Data security is paramount for us as in the near future we will be required to store a sensitive customer data. With this in mind, and the fact that my budget is fairly strict, what Cisco Router would you suggest?

For Firewall and VPN support, on routers like the 2800 series, you'll probably want the "Advanced Security" feature set. See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5460/index.html for more information.

PS:

For 1.5 to 3 Mbps, you might also find one of the 800 series, http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/index.html, might be of interest.

Thanks for the tip on the "Advanced Security" package.

The reason I didn't mention the 800 series routers in my original post is because our management is considering switching to a VOIP solution for our telephony needs and the way I see it is if I make the initial investment into a more expensive 1800 or 2800 series router now, we will have less of hassle and cost in the future to accommodate a VOIP solution.

Hi, the 1800 except the 1861 do not support VoIP, so for about 20 users, you have to look either at a 2801, or an UC520.

As a recognition to those providing answers, please rate useful posts!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: