cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating to new network not possible in one haul or is it?

jlaay-diode
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My client, a hosting provider, will be migrating their client to a new network. The servers etc will get another public ip-address. Because some clients have quite a few servers I would like to be able to spread the migration period while still be able to direct the users of the clients to the appropriate servers etc. Some in the old network and some in the new network.

A suggestion is made to do this with load balancers.

Is this a good idea and are there other methods?

6 Replies 6

trippi
Level 1
Level 1

You could do this with a router, just add a secondary IP address wtih the new network, or put a route to your firewall on the router of the new subnet...

Hi,

Thanx for you answer, but you lost me.

Could you be just a bit more eleborate, please :).

Greetz

Jaap

Are the servers using public routable IPs? Or are they NAT'd? What kind of network device do you have in front of them??

Hi,

Yes the servers are using public routable IPs. They are not NATted.

In front of the servers are one or more firewall and also in some occasions loadbalansers.

Greetz,

Jaap

You can just assign the servers secondary IPs from the new block. Then, they will have two IPs, one from the new, one from the old...You could create a subinterface on the firewall.

Hi again,

I attached a diagram to explain my 'problem' maybe more clearly.

It concerns a partial move of some servers because the move can't taken place in a single service window.

Users workstation partially connect to an IP-address in stead of a DNS name.

TIA

Jaap

Jaap

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card