cisco 1242 workgroup bridge

Unanswered Question
Jun 30th, 2008

my device = Cisco AIR-AP1242AG access point

(continued from my earlier post dated June 25, 2008,

subject line: Cisco 1242 wireless bridging to non-cisco AP's )

-----------------------

1) on this device, what's the difference between the workgroup bridge setting and the universal workgroup bridge?

2) at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps441/products_qanda_item09186a0080094d01.shtml#wgb I read (near the bottom of the page):

'WGBs cannot associate with other WGBs, wireless clients, or devices that other vendors manufacture.'

so is this why I can't get my device to wireless bridge to anything but another cisco device? or am I not understanding it correctly? Thanks for any pointers.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Scott Fella Tue, 07/01/2008 - 03:47

I think what Cisco is saying is that they will not support or have tried to support communication with non-Cisco wireless devices. Will it work, there is a chance, I have a non-Cisco WGB that communicated to a Cisco AP. Never tried having a 1242WGB to communicates with any other wireless device. If you try it, at least try to match up the data rates, preamble, dtim and any other setting you can set identical.

tonyspcrepairs Wed, 07/02/2008 - 04:09

ok thanks for your response fella5. I was trying to wireless bridge my cisco 1242 to a Belkin AP but I've since dicovered that Belkin access points only support bridging to other belkins, so I expect that many manufacturers will be inclined towards doing the same, including cisco.

Scott Fella Wed, 07/02/2008 - 04:21

Not all the time. I have a Buffalo WGB that connects back to a Cisco Wireless Router at home for my lab. The problem is configuration and proprietary stuff that limits multi vendor use. Check their forum if they have one... might have your answer there. Maybe you can get it working.

Actions

This Discussion