Views
Helpful
Replies

Console to Ethernet

zorric.sia
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is it possible to connect a console port of my 3560 switch to an Ethernet connection on a 2801 NM-16ESW module?

If so, how is this configured.

6 Replies 6

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi There

Of course it is possible to "connect" them, but you will not have connectivity between these two pieces of equipment.

A console port uses the serial RS232 protocol where a Ethernet port uses the Ethernet 802.3 protocol. These are two totally different protocols and to the best of my knowledge there is no way to get one to communicate with the other.

Best Regards,

Michael

hi!!

Donot even try to connect them... as there is a chance that you might jam/blow the console port. I have seen it happen as the ethernet transmitted power over the link and the console was unusable. Not sure whether it was PoE or regular ethernet.

If you want to access multiple consoles through a common device, you may use terminal-servers.

Regards,

Niranjan

Thanks, I'll just pick up a 2811.

You'd be more likely to blow the Ethernet port. RS232 is up to +/- 13 volts, Ethernet is much less.

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

They would not be able to talk directly.

You could use something like a Lantronix (there are others as well) one-port terminal server to connect the two. I think they're ~US$100.00 or less.

Go to http://www.cdw.com and do a search on terminal server, some are available from one serial port to 2,4, 8, 16, 32, and beyond.

Good Luck

Scott

I'll look into that.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card