Views
Helpful
Replies

Channel Bonding, Server FT & LB

edw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to have my servers Fault Tolerant and also Load Balanacing on there 2 Gigabit ports. I have installed two 3550-12T switches in Spanning Tree topology.

I want to connected one network port to one switch and one network port to another and still get 2 gigabits out of the card - is this possible - how does one go about it ?

Thanks

Ed

3 Replies 3

Pravin Phadte
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

EtherChannel provides fault-tolerant and load balancing high-speed links between switches, routers, and servers.

You can use it to increase the bandwidth, and you can deploy it anywhere in the network where bottlenecks are likely to occur. EtherChannel provides automatic recovery for the loss of a link by redistributing the load across the remaining links. If a linkfails, EtherChannel redirects traffic from the failed link to the remaining links in the channel without intervention.

Link below will help..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094647.shtml

Link for config examples.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/prod_configuration_examples_list.html#anchor4

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Pravin

Thanks for this - my question which I wanted to get too is - can I have etherchannel across two switchs....? IE if I have the server plugged in to two switchs?

Thanks

Ed

What kind of OS are you running and what type of NIC?

If you connect to 2 different switches then you have to put into consideration spanning-tree problems.

With your desired config, you can use adaptive load balancing to achieve this, if your driver supports it.

No, you cannot have an etherchannel from 2 NICs into 2 different switches. You can only achive this in a modular switch (6500,45000 or a 3750 stacked switch.

CCIE 26175
www.techsnips.com
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: