Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure Inter Vlan routing remotely

eiturbealv
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to configure Inter-Vlan routing remotely in two Switches that will be running HSRP in future. The first doubt that I have is if I could configure the ip route 0.0.0.0.... (default route) before introduce the IP routing command in order not loose the connection to these switches, due that I will be connected remotely, and until now they are working with a default gateway, that will not have effect when I introduce the ip routing command.

The other doubt is what are the steps to configure in the best way the HSRP,

Configure the routing and HSRP in the first switch and after it do in the second....

Many thanks.

Cheers

3 Replies 3

srue
Level 7
Level 7

you can give it the same default router as the the default gateway and then turn on ip routing - i don't believe you will lose connectivity if you do it this way. when i (re)configure routing tables on a device and i have to do it remotely, i always try to first telnet to another device that is directly connected to the device i want to configure so if the routing tables get messed up, i'm still only connecting from a host that is on the same network/subnet so i don't get disconnected.

Once you have routing (or routing and hsrp) configured on the primary, you can then configure them on the secondary.

Many thanks for your response, so is posible to introduce the command ip route... for the default route, before activate the routing with ip routing command, if I could do this no problem, my worry was not to be able to introduce it before activate the ip routing, because I have experimented it with some devices some time ago. I have though also in connect to a device directly connected.

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

When I have to configure something that will break my connection, I use a script (a file with the commands) and save it to flash. I then execute the script and even those I lose my connection, the script continues to run and as long as my script is correct, I will gain connectivity again when the script is done.

Hope that helps.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card