1861 for small brach office to integrate with call manager

Unanswered Question
Jul 1st, 2008

We have the need for some small branch offices that will requre voice communication to our main branch.

We have Cisco Call Manager at the main office that currently services several branches.

I would like to use the 1861 series router, but I ma not sure which one will do what is needed.

According to the documentation:

"• Integrated Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express or Cisco Unified Survivable Remote Site Telephony (SRST) for call processing"

This should be all that is needed correct?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Jaime Valencia Tue, 07/01/2008 - 05:58

for what purpose do you want the router?

WAN connectivity??

PSTN connectivity?

SRST (only 8 phones)?

there are data sheets for the 1861 with the capabilities it has

if this helps, please rate

rob.huffman Tue, 07/01/2008 - 06:10

Hi Wilson,

Just to add a note to the great tips from my friend Jaime (+5 points for you Jaime :)

The 1861 will work for SRST for very small Branch Offices (8 phones max)but many people would opt for a 2801 for expansion purposes;

Cisco 1861 Integrated Services Routers

Q. What is the Cisco 1861?

A. The Cisco 1861, which is part of the Cisco 1800 Series Integrated Services Router portfolio, is a unified communications solution targeted at small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) and enterprise small branch offices. This solution provides voice, data, voicemail, Automated-Attendant, video, and security capabilities while integrating with existing desktop applications such as calendar, e-mail, and customer relationship management (CRM) programs. This platform takes full advantage of business-class, proven unified communications technologies and supports flexible deployment models based on your needs-a wide array of IP phones, public switched telephone network (PSTN) interfaces, and Internet connectivity.

Core components include the following:

• Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express (CME) or Cisco Unified Survivable Remote Site Telephony (SRST) for call processing

From this good doc;

Hope this helps!

wilson_1234_2 Tue, 07/01/2008 - 07:22

Thanks for the reply and sorry to be so vague, but I looked at the documents that are mentioned.

This will be a small branch router so,

It will need WAN access to the main site, the 1861 supports an HWIC card that will let me connect via MPLS.

There are several different versions of this router and I didn't know what is needed to make sure it can connect directly with call manager and have the remote branch process calls with cisco IP Phones.

I contacted Cisco Pre-Sales and that was not much help, according to them "This router does not do voice, but if you are just using it for data, then it will work fine"

What I am looking for is a router that will allow me to install it at the remote branch and plug an IP phone into one of the PoE ports and process calls.

Does the integrated CME do that if it is configured correctly to do so?

My understanding is that SRST allows the router to act as a scaled down version of Call Manager and process calls if I loose connection to Call Manager, if that is the case I will need a PRI connection to do that, which means the WIC slot cann connect via MPLS.

So, I am looking mainly at the CME function I believe + WAN connectivity.

Which IOS is needed to do this?

SP Services

IP VOice

Enterprise Services

Advances IP Services

According to pre sales the SP Services will do what I want, but he also said it does not support voice.

JonGauntt Thu, 07/24/2008 - 05:11

Can you use an IP Phone with this system? Yes. I have several running with them. I think the biggest factor for you is going to be the MPLS. If I am reading everything correctly the only T1 card currently available (that only works with 1861) is Data only. In that case it would be a no-go for you.

Since I am primarily using POTS lines and configuring the F0/0 & F0/1/8 ports for broadband I am able to use these as WAN interfaces to transport limited amounts of calls across data (completely depends on your circuit).

I use Advanced IP Services for all my routers for the crypto capabilities and it supports full voice functionality. I believe the SP Services works with the voice as well (as it ships with it), but I have not tried it.

wilson_1234_2 Sat, 07/26/2008 - 15:29

Thanks for the reply Jason,

What I am looking to do is to utilize the PoE port on the 1861 and plug a Cisco Phone into the port.

Configure call manager at my remote site and have an extension in the remote site assigned to the remote IP phone.

I will connect to my remote site via MPLS with the WIC card and transport limited calls as data as you are doing.

I also got the Advanced Services IOS.

This Discussion