cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 2821 Support Dynamic DNS (DDNS) ???

manojdubey02
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am having Cisco router 2821 with WIC-1ADSL Inetrface card. I would like to know that router or router' support Dynamic DNS, which need to configure for dyndns.com site to established VPN connectivity

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

I have uploaded another attachment to this post which should make is clearer hopefully?

You need to change the USERNAME:PASSWORD for your own DynDNS Username & Password and also change the interface line 'ip ddns update hostname MYHOSTNAME.homedns.org' to be your own DynDNS hostname - it might not have the 'homedns.org' suffix as DynDNS host others as well - check your account.

HTH

Andy

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Manoj,

Assuming your router is getting DHCP IP Address (hence the need for DDNS), one question arises how are you gonna complete the request/tracking to the dydns.com?

With PCs one can install their client and everything else is taken care of, however with Router, I'm not sure if it (client) will still work even if you tried to deploy NAT.

Best would be to try it out yourself.

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

If you use the SDM for configuration, there are some options for DDNS with several dynamic name registrars, including DynDNS.

I don't think they are compatible with DynDNS though, it never worked for me. I have a paid account with DynDNS

I'm running a 12.4 Advanced IP Services.

Perhaps it works for one of the other providers.

You can run a DynDNS client behind the router on any PC or server (server = "bad security idea")and get the correct address assignment, because NAT/PAT will make the client address the same as the router's outside address.

Good Luck

Scott

I spent a bit of time debugging DDNS with DynDNS & HTTP updates from the router and I now have it working perfectly. They have a policy were they don't like you updating if your IP address hasn't changed so you need to make sure the 28-day setting is in there or they suspend your account and send you a nice email...

This is my working configuration:

ip ddns update method DynDNS

HTTP

add PASSWORD@members.dyndns.org/nic/update?system=dyndns&hostname')">http://USERNAME:PASSWORD@members.dyndns.org/nic/update?system=dyndns&hostname=&myip=

remove http://USERNAME:PASSWORD@members.dyndns.org/nic/update?system=dyndns&hostname=&myip=

interval maximum 27 0 0 0

!

ip ddns update hostname MYHOSTNAME.homedns.org

ip ddns update DynDNS host members.dyndns.org

By default the IOS CLI interprets the '?' and displays the available commands. You need to override this with v priot to entering the '?' character.

HTH

Andy

Apologies but I can't stop the forum interpretting some of the characters in the config script - it keeps posting wrong..

I have therefore attached it. The two final lines go under the interface, sorry I didn't include that bit in the file :o)

Andy

Hi Andy,

Can u provide me some configuration document.

The above configuration can be done on global configuration mode on router.

I am not getting clear idea ... can explain me more ???

Hi

I have uploaded another attachment to this post which should make is clearer hopefully?

You need to change the USERNAME:PASSWORD for your own DynDNS Username & Password and also change the interface line 'ip ddns update hostname MYHOSTNAME.homedns.org' to be your own DynDNS hostname - it might not have the 'homedns.org' suffix as DynDNS host others as well - check your account.

HTH

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card