cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS/Bandwidth Allocation advice

exchange1
Level 1
Level 1

I offer four classes of Internet bandwidth to my customers (256kbps, 512Kbps, 1Mbps and 2Mbps), but presently we want to introduce VOD service which require 4mbps on bandwidth. The VOD server is residing on my network, how can I provide the VOD service to my customers and at the same time limit them to the class of service of Internet.

Presently the Internet limitation is set on the CPE but now I want router to handle everything.

3 Replies 3

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

can you provide a topology with a bit more details

Please see attached diagram. To stream video from the VOD server a customer requires 4Mbps of connection to the VOD server (not Internet).

you can achive this through policy map and policing

make an access-list that either match any traffic to from any source to your server

or a spisific traffic from spisific client to your server in this case u have to creat an ACL for each client

then make a class maps matching that ACL or ACLS

then for each customer make a policy map

and first class in this policy is the map that u have created matching the traffic destined to ur server and make the rate limit

such as police CIR to 4Mbps

then make and apply another class map that match you clent internet traffic which mostly any to any or u can make it class-default to match any traffic then police the trffic to the amount you want for each customer

you can make policy map for each customer if you have saperate interface to each or combine the class map in one policy if you have one interface with them but you have to be more spisific in your calss maps in this case

if you want more details or commmand let me know

there is other way u can do it called nested Policy map

but try the above one better

by the way u can do the above policing on L3 switches aswell!

good luck and rate if usefull