cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN & DHCP

arnold.c
Level 1
Level 1

I am setting up a VPN tunnel between two sites and I must be able to pull DHCP addresses across the tunnel to my client devices. At the remote end I have a DSL router in bridged mode connected to a ASA firewall. My client devices are connected to a 3com superstack II switch which is directly connected to the ASA. Is there any way to set up DHCP ip-helper on the ASA without having to put a router or Layer 3 switch in place of the ASA so that my clients can pull a DHCP address from the headend?

Best,

Arnold

2 Replies 2

hadbou
Level 5
Level 5

ip helper-address is used To enable the forwarding of User Datagram Protocol (UDP) broadcasts, including BOOTP, received on an interface, use the ip helper-address command in interface configuration mode. One common application that requires helper addresses is Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP), which is defined in RFC 1531. To enable BOOTP or DHCP broadcast forwarding for a set of clients, configure a helper address on the router interface connected to the client. The helper address should specify the address of the BOOTP or DHCP server. If you have multiple servers, you can configure one helper address for each server.

refer the url below for more information:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/ip_addr/command/reference/ip1_i1gt.html#wp1169356

nomair_83
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

You can use dhcprelay command for this.

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card