Views
Helpful
Replies

slow network

network
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

we hv a cisco three model LAN structure in our company & a 1800 srs router as gateway to internet having sufficient bandwidth for our usuage..bt from last weal we r experiencing a slow down in network traffic & the problem is getting worse. i hv checked the lan interface on the router & it shows that there is congestion for sure.

the "sh int" command output for lan interface is attached with this msg,plz go through it.

your any suggestion regarding improving the situtation is highly appreciated.

regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi amit,

Thanks for the reply. But i guess you have taken a bit things wrongly.

1. The command "bandwith" does not restrict the BW. Only the clock calulating is diffrent.

In case you limit the bandwith on a interface 2 Mb using rate-limit. This is when you can use the command badnwidth for refrence for calculating the BW.

Hope this is much clear.

Plz rate if helps,

Regrads,

Pravin

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Whats the WAN bandwidth availed out there ?

the logs provided by you shows heavy traffic being handled by the ethernet interface.

if you are not sure about the traffic pattern then better to check out for netflow.

do make use of netflow (configure netflow under your ethernet interface) and try to analyse the traffic pattern and the top talkers in your network in terms of ip/packet/byte count.

you can configure ip route-cache flow under the ethernet interafce and use show ip cache flow to monitor/chck the same.

regds

Hi,

The interface are FE interface. How are you calulatiing the BW ?

1. This is what is read on the interface.

input > 1.147 Mb

output > 1.129 Mb

txload 140/255, rxload 142/255

The out/in is 1 Mb.

2. Internet address is 10.101.199.238/24

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 2048 Kbit, DLY 100 usec

If you see the BW 2048 Kbits in this output its because this is config with "bandwidth" command on the interface. Thats the reason you are seeing txload 140/255, rxload 142/255.

3. I see only one input error and 3 interface reset on the interface. Nothing to worry about.

You need to check your WAN link.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

pravin

thankz praveen it was really a prob due to bandwidth restriction i dnt knw hw this haapens because my network has many access. but i am really thankfull for your kind effort.

regards,

Hi amit,

Thanks for the reply. But i guess you have taken a bit things wrongly.

1. The command "bandwith" does not restrict the BW. Only the clock calulating is diffrent.

In case you limit the bandwith on a interface 2 Mb using rate-limit. This is when you can use the command badnwidth for refrence for calculating the BW.

Hope this is much clear.

Plz rate if helps,

Regrads,

Pravin

Hi Praveen ,

as soon as i cleared the bandwidth on lan int the traffic load on that interface comes to minimun level so iam sure the prob is at that end only.thankz for your sharp observation.

Route_reflector
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Check your WAN interface traffic whether the input at LAN interface is same as out at WAN interface. And LAN out traffic with WAN in traffic.

I suspect this may due to improper LAN Switching, ie LAN traffic is directly coming to Router interface and switched back...

Regards,

Hi,

yes there could be possible problem in the LAN side.

Check the switch interface where the router Ethernet is connected on the LAN side.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco