Replies

Unable to access my router

m_aurangzeb
Level 1
Level 1

I am configuring my router through telnet for many times. today when i

started telnet it was not working.

then i start checking gradually and when i ping my ethernet interface

it was unable to even ping that interface and i make ensure the following things.

1- Switch off / No firewall on my PC

2- both ips router interface and PC are from same network

3- telnet is enabled

4- even for troubleshooting purpose,i took different network ips

for pc and router interface

Please can any one help me that how i can findout wthat is the actual

fault and how can i check my ethernet interface.

Note: i can access my router through console cable

3 Replies 3

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi There

Are you connecting directly to your routers Ethernet port from your PC/Laptop?

If so,

a. Are you using a cross over cable?

b. Do the speed and duplex settings match on both the PC and the Router?

HTH

Best Regards,

Michael

Hi,

I am connecting through through via swict by using straight cable.

from where i can check speed duplex setting ( i already used to use these default settings to access through same configurations).

Hi There

If you are attempting to connect (telnet) over the network, then cable type and speed/duplex are not likely to be the issue.

Some more things to check/think about.

Can you ping the IP address of the router interface you are trying to telnet to?

It is possible that some security consious person has disabled telnet and enabled ssh as the method of remote connection?

Is the unavailability of telnet access to this router confined to only your PC or is there no telnet access from anywhere to this router?

In your original post you stated that the personal firewall on your PC is switched off. Is there a firewall present on your network that might be blocking telnet access to your router or is this a (home) lab environment?

If your PC is connected to a switch is the router connected to the same switch? If not what is the topology between your PC and the router?

Are the connections between the switch(es) and router configured as "trunk" links, with the proper encapsulation configured on each end of the trunk?

Can you log on to the router using the console cable and post the current (sanatised) configuration along with the output of "show interface" for the port which connects to the switch.

If the routers IP address is on a different subnet to your PC then could you also post the oputput of a "tracert" command from your PC to the IP address of the router please?

HTH

Best Regards,

Michael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card