cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 3 Device for SMB(Small and Medium Business)

can any one help me with price and the best Cisco Layer 3 Device for Smal and Medium size office with 300 Employees.

Regards

Kiran Kumar CH

5 Replies 5

kerek
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Selecting the right device for you needs a bit more information. What do you really wnat to achieve? How your network will look like? What features you want to implement?

Regards,

Krisztian

1)Reduce the brodcast in our Local LAN by using VLAN.

2)Proposed network 2 ISP connected to Layer3 Device with VLAN's Configured on each interface and each VLAN port of Layer 3 Device is connected with Unmanaged D-Link Switches

Hi,

It seems all of your interfaces facing to the LAN and Internet will be Ethernet. How many interface do you need exactly on the device?

Do you expect other interfaces like serial, ISDN, Wireless etc. in the future?

Do you want to run any routing protocol with your ISPs?

Do you plan to implement QoS?

Do you plan to implement IPSec, SSL VPN?

Krisztian

Hi,

1) 24 or 48 Ethernet Ports to Configure as VLAN's.

2)4 Serial,2 ISDN,2 Wirless.

3) yes

4) YES Qos

5)VPN and IPSec and SSL

Hi,

Well, I'm afraid you cannot accomodate all this features on one box or if so that would be very expensive.

For the point 1 you can put a simple layer2 switch (if no layer3 required just vlans)

For point 2 and 3 you can use a modular router like 1800 or 2800 series (the later can be better).

For point 4 the question is whether you want to implement QoS on the egress interfaces facing to your ISPs or on the switches too.

Point 5. The 2800 series is capable for IPSec and SSL VPN too the question is only about the performance. If you need anyway FW to protect your network (I strongly recommend) you can use Cisco ASA.

Hope it helps, rate if does,

Krisztian

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card