Views
Helpful
Replies

Site to Site VPN between Switches

ChrisWhite85
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

We currently have a single site with a Netgear FSM7328S Layer3 Switch at the top of the network tree. We are looking to replace this with a Cisco Catalyst 3560G-24TS eventually when money permits.

Anyway, we have another one of those Netgear Layer3 Switch's at the new site and we wish to link the switches via secure VPN Site-to-Site link.

What hardware would be suitable bearing in mind we are a SMB customer? I am new to Site-to-Site linking. Currently in the test rig the Switches are communicating with each other by routing traffic for that switch to a configured adaptor.

We just need to bridge the gap. We have a dedicated ADSL modem at both sites with dedicated IP's.

Cheers.

Chris.

3 Replies 3

ggilbert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Chris,

You have to buy routers to build Layer 3 VPN site to site tunnels. Cisco does not support site to site tunnels on the switches except for the 6500 switch which should have the VPN SPA module.

The lowest model of a router that would support a Lan to Lan tunnel would be 871 model.

Cheers,

Gilbert

Hi there,

Does the 871 Router just have routing capability and thats it? I.e. it requires an ADSL Modem attached to it, to reach the outside world?

If so then I can understand how we need to deploy these 871's.

Just confused because they are marked as Ethernet to Ethernet and I need to go across an ADSL connection to connect to the other LAN.

Thanks,

Chris.

When you purchase the 800 series router, you can get it with ADSL port that will connect to your ADSL modem.

I think Cisco 877 router is the one that has that option.

Gilbert