Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about Cisco's Server Load Balancing (SLB) - BCMSN Studies

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi All

Just going through some BCMSN study material which covered the redundancy protocols HSRP & VRRP, the redundancy/load balancing protocol GLBP and the Server Load Balancing protocol SLB.

I appear to have HSRP, VRRP and GLBP available on the routers in my home lab (2500's, 2600's & 3600's) but I don't appear to have SLB even though I am running IOS 12.4 on most of the routers. I do however have SLB available on a 7206VXR router running IOS 12.3 code.

I am therefore wondering what hardware or software is required to configure SLB on the routers.

I have not yet checked whether SLB is availabel on my L3 switches (3550's and 3750's).

Any advice/help you can provide would eb much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Michael

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

lee.reade
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

If you use the feature navigator and search by feature, server load balancing,

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

From the results, if you have a look in the platforms box, you will see that the lowest end router with this feature is the 3640.

Therefore, you need to have this minimum hardware to get the feature.

You can use the FN to find the ver that you require for your 3600, since you done specify which model you have.

Cheers,

LR

View solution in original post

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In 12.3 code, I guess it is supported in 3600/3700.

HTH,

Nagendra

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

lee.reade
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

If you use the feature navigator and search by feature, server load balancing,

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

From the results, if you have a look in the platforms box, you will see that the lowest end router with this feature is the 3640.

Therefore, you need to have this minimum hardware to get the feature.

You can use the FN to find the ver that you require for your 3600, since you done specify which model you have.

Cheers,

LR

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In 12.3 code, I guess it is supported in 3600/3700.

HTH,

Nagendra

Hi Guys

Cheers for the response and helpful information.

I have 3620's and 3640's in my lab and neither seem to have SLB support. However this appears to be due to the fact that the version of IOS 12.4 they are running is too low.

I need the MD release 12.4(19b) or the LD release 12.4(13) and I have 12.4(5a).

At least now I know why :) Cheers.

I can always use Dynamips to get some hands on practice with SLB configuration as I have some 7206VXR images which support this feature.

Best Regards & Thanks again,

Michael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card