cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing EIGRP hold-time

tylerlucas
Level 1
Level 1

I recently tried changing the eigrp hold-time on a router, but didn't have much luck.

I did: ip hold-time eigrp 23 60 on interface Tunnel0 (that's where the hello's are coming in), but the hold time is staying at 15. I bounced the neighbor and even rebooted the router, and it's still 15...

IP-EIGRP neighbors for process 23

H Address Interface Hold Uptime SRTT RTO Q Seq

(sec) (ms) Cnt Num

0 10.10.255.254 Tu0 12 00:03:53 99 5000 0 116641

Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tyler

My suggestion is to look at the neighbor on the other end of the tunnel and see what it reports the hold time to be. The hold time is sent in the hello packet to the neighbor. What you are seeing when you do show ip eigrp neighbor is the hold time that the neighbor sent to you. If you look in the other neighbor you should see the effect of your change in what you sent to it. Note that unlike OSPF EIGRP will allow hold times to be different between neighbors.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tyler

My suggestion is to look at the neighbor on the other end of the tunnel and see what it reports the hold time to be. The hold time is sent in the hello packet to the neighbor. What you are seeing when you do show ip eigrp neighbor is the hold time that the neighbor sent to you. If you look in the other neighbor you should see the effect of your change in what you sent to it. Note that unlike OSPF EIGRP will allow hold times to be different between neighbors.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you for the info Rick, I was un-aware of that.

I haven't gotten everything fixed yet, but you did indeed answer my question :)

Thanks again,

Tyler

Tyler

I am glad that I was able to resolve at least part of your issue. If there are other aspects that you want to ask about, go ahead and ask some more.

Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your question was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read a question and can know that there was a response which did resolve the question.

The forum is an excellent place to learn about Cisco networking. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard,

What are the possible causes for RTO equal to 5000. Can you help me out how to resolve the issue so that RTO becomes less than 5000?

Regards,

Amit

Amit

The RTO is calculated using SRTT which is the time actually measured for an acknowledged packet from your EIGRP router to the neighbor and for the response to come back. If you provide some details about your network and the connection to this neighbor then perhaps we might be able to give you some better advice.

Here are a couple of links to discussions about EIGRP RTO and  SRTT which I hope might be helpful.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/9276691/eigrp-what-causes-excessive-rto

and a comment from a senior Cisco engineer explaining the calculation

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/10510716/eigrp-srtt-how-value-derived

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: