Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1711 switchport security

vpersaud001
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

Is is possible to limit devices on the 1711 switcports by MAC address? Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Are you using an etherswitch module in the router? Most of not all modules support port security, and will limit devices based on mac address. Here is a gude for configuring port security. It is for a 6500 switch. but all the commands are the same.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/port_sec.html#wp1044659

Mark

Thank you Mark. No modules in the router - just the 4 LAN ports. Because other people have access to my client's network equipment I need to restrict physical access to the ports.

I tried the port security command already and it's not recognized. The IOS version is 12.3(7)T1. Could it be an IOS issue?

Unfortunately I am not seeing any documentation that shows that the router supports port security. I also looked at the feature navigator and didn't see it supported in the IOS either. If port security is a necessity I would recommend a catalyst switch to plug your users into.

Mark

Thank you Mark.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: