New test admissions process is pretty disturbing

Unanswered Question
Jul 2nd, 2008

I have not taken a test since July 2007 when I sat for my BSCI. That was at Networkers and the admission process was fairly simple. But now I'm reading up on Cisco/VUE's new process of collecting a digital signiture and photo. I in the FAQ that they have "policies" in place to protect my identity. I'm sorry, that's not good enough. Anyone can violate a policy and grab that information. When it was just test scores I could have cared less. Now, if it has photos (whereby ID's such as licenses can be faked) or signitures, finger prints, and/or social security, I'm done with the testing process.

I'm sorry some people cheat. But I will not be violated or subject my personal identity to theft, with all that entails, just so that Cisco doesn't have to spend the money to locate and prosecute the perpetrators.

I've had enough of this "punish everyone" mentatility that American Businesses in particular have turned to because it's easier than dealing with the real problem.

If there is anyone from Cisco monitoring this forum who can prove to me how, for 100% certain, my identity could NEVER be stolen or compromised by this admissions process, pray tell, come forth.

Otherwise, I'm finished with the certification process.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
mlaforest Wed, 07/02/2008 - 15:13

This is pretty paranoid. If you go to a store and use your credit card you have to sign the receipt, so lots of people likely already have your signature. If you go to a larger store they probably already have a picture of you from any security cameras. Take off your tin foil hat and stop worrying so much.

However, I do find it a little odd that they would want to photograph you just for a test. Unless they are making an ID card that seems completely unnecessary. A signature is completely reasonable.

suelange Wed, 07/02/2008 - 22:32

well, actually no, it's not the same thing. and no, having a photo at the store entrance as I wander in or out, or even at the checkout, does not allow them to match up my picture with my signature.

Having my signature on file if you are my bank or a credit card company is reasonable. Having it digitized and kept on file for something as silly as a test is not at all reasonable.

This process does NOT keep people from contributiong to or using braindumps which is what it is supposed to be aimed at.

1cmerchant Mon, 07/07/2008 - 04:11

Suelange, I totally agree!

Given the horrible job that Cisco and their testing vendors have done with protecting their own intellectual property (i.e. the exam content) I have ZERO confidence in their ability to protect MY personal information.

jrensink78 Mon, 07/07/2008 - 05:31

Actually, the point of this would be more aimed at preventing hired gunmen. This would be where someone hires another person to take a certification test for them. Having a photo/signature on file will help prevent this practice.

I took my last test about a month ago, and I still haven't seen any of these new practices in place in my testing center yet.

But in all honesty, how much damage could someone do with your name, photo, and signature? Go to facebook/myspace and you can get all the name/photo combos that you could ever want. What does the signature buy you?

Actions

This Discussion