Helpful
Replies

AP1252AG Power Injector - Ethernet Failure Radios still UP

ahkal_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

please can somebody help?

I was doing a simple test today with 2 AP's, both AP's are powered by Cisco Power Injectors. I was expecting that my client would simply switch association from one access point to another if I disconnected the ethernet cable of one AP (breaking the network connection). What I noticed was that the Radio's of the AP which has it's ethernet cable unplugged were still authenicating clients. i.e clients were authenticaing with radios of AP which has it ethernet interface down.

Please can somebody tell me whether there is a command that will cause the radios to shutdown in case of ethernet failure, thus forcing clients to try to find another AP

Regards

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

With a power injector, you can't shut the radio down, unless the port that goes from the injector to the ap fails. Then of course the ap will shut down. It is like any access point when the ethernet is down, unplugged, faulty..... radios stay up.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi,

Thanks for reading my post, I've found the command, which shuts down the radio if the ethernet goes down:

ap(config)#interface dot11Radio 0

ap(config-if)#station-role root fallback shutdown

ap(config-if)#end

ap#

ap#

ap#sh ip inter brie

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol

BVI1 XXX.XXX.XXX.XX YES NVRAM up up

Dot11Radio0 unassigned YES NVRAM up up

Dot11Radio1 unassigned YES NVRAM administratively down down

GigabitEthernet0 unassigned YES NVRAM up up

ap#

Unplug the Ethernet cable from Switch

*Mar 1 00:08:28.523: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0, changed state to down

*Mar 1 00:08:28.527: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to reset

*Mar 1 00:08:29.527: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to down

*Mar 1 00:08:30.527: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface BVI1, changed state to down

*Mar 1 00:08:31.527: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface BVI1, changed state to down

ap#

ap#sh ip inter brie

BVI1 XXX.XXX.XXX.XX YES NVRAM down down

Dot11Radio0 unassigned YES NVRAM reset down

GigabitEthernet0 unassigned YES NVRAM up down

ap#

Plug Ethernet Cable back into Switch

*Mar 1 00:08:56.975: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0, changed state to up

*Mar 1 00:08:56.983: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to up

*Mar 1 00:08:57.979: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to up

*Mar 1 00:08:58.983: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface BVI1, changed state to up

*Mar 1 00:08:59.983: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface BVI1, changed state to up

ap#sh ip inter brie

BVI1 XXX.XXX.XXX.XX YES NVRAM up up

Dot11Radio0 unassigned YES NVRAM up up

GigabitEthernet0 unassigned YES NVRAM up up

ap#

This Works....

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card