cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 5.0 Text Paging question

shikamarunara
Level 4
Level 4

I need to reconfigure a Unity server to forward smtp traffic to another smtp relay instead of the current partner server.

My impression from testing is that Text Page notifications in Unity is accomplished when it is partnered with an SMTP relay that will permit it to forward traffic.

-Shikamaru

7 Replies 7

Christopher McAlpin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Assuming your Unity server is partnered with Exchange 2000/2003, you can configure an SMTP connector on your partner Exchange server to forward SMTP messages to a smart host that can forward your traffic.

From the Exchange System Manager drill down in the tree to Connectors:

First Ornanization

Administrative Groups

First Administrative Group

Connectors

Right click on Connectors and choose New SMTP Connector.

On the General tab, give it an appropriate name e.g. External SMTP.

Choose "Forward all mail through this connector to the following smart hosts", and enter the IP address in brackets for the server that you want to handle this traffic e.g. [10.50.251.12]

For local bridge heads, choose add and add Unity's partner Exchange server.

On the Address Space tab, choose add and then SMTP. Enter the domain name that you want this connector handle e.g. cisco.com

Now all smtp traffic with an email address ending in cisco.com will be forward to the smart host you specified.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Chris,

This is Exchange 2007. The partner server can't do any relaying. Is there a way for Unity to forward to another host altogether?

-Shikamaru

No, Unity simply hands the message off to the partner server for delivery. If the partner server can not route to external addresses, then you will have to set up a connector on the partner server that routes the messages to a server that can.

I belive Unity Connection can do what you want though.

One other option if they have an SMPP provider, they can set up SMS notifications to their mobile devices. This does limit the audience of people able to recieve notifications though cause not every one has a mobile device.

What is Unity Connection? Is this a separate product?

-Shikamaru

Yes, Unity Connection is another messaging product that we develop. The first version 1.x ran on Windows. We later ported it to Linux with 2.x release. It's a one box solution which can run co-res with Call Manager. It has it's own message store. It does not rely on Active Directory, Exchange, or Domino.

Chris,

Just to reiterate (I need to have some information to relay to our managers), the partner server that Unity 5 is configured for needs to have the ability to accept and relay traffic on port 25 in order for text paging to work, correct? There's no way to configure this otherwise?

-Shikamaru

That's a bit over my head. I just know how to get it working. I don't know that it needs the ability to accept incoming smtp since the message originated from a mailbox on that very same Exchange server, perhaps it just needs the ability to forward outging smtp messages. My guess is folks are using this as an email server as well, if they don't want folks sending emails to exernal addresses, they could configure the connector to only accept smtp messages from the Unity_ account.

But yeah bottom line is they have to configure this on their mailstore.