cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

mac addresses on switch ports

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, I know that a mac address cannot exsist on more than more port at a time, but how come it can exsist on both the access port and uplink port on the switch ?

1 Reply 1

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Normally it cannot, at least not for the same VLAN. Normally it will be in the CAM table for the access port, and in the neighboring switch on the downlink port that leads to the access switch.

It is hard to imagine a scenario where the same MAC address is on an access port in one VLAN, and on the uplink on a different VLAN, but I can think of one counter-example. Older implementations of Solaris used the same MAC address on all ports of a multi-port NIC. If you had different Sun ports connected to different switches in different VLANs, then you would see the phenomenon that you are describing.

Perhaps you could post the evidence, because I am sure that there is to this question than you are telling us.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card