cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ip helper-address with secondary ip

ippolito
Level 1
Level 1

I have an interface on a Cat6513 configured with both a secondary ip and an ip helper-address. My clients can successfully obtain ip address from the primary ip subnet, but not from the secondary ip subnet. Is there a way for dhcp requests to be flagged with the secondary ip address instead of the primary address?

Thanks in advance for the help. Cat is runing version 12.2(18).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

a.alekseev
Level 7
Level 7

there is mo way for dhcp requests to be flagged with the secondary ip address instead of the primary address.

workaround

remove secondary ip address and create additional SVI inteface with the same ip address.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

a.alekseev
Level 7
Level 7

there is mo way for dhcp requests to be flagged with the secondary ip address instead of the primary address.

workaround

remove secondary ip address and create additional SVI inteface with the same ip address.

Thanks for the help. I was afraid you were going to say that. :)

DHCP SuperScopes...

If you create an additional DHCP scope for the 2nd network and then combine both into a SuperScope this will work. This is pretty much what DHCP SuperScopes are designed for.

I agree though it's better to create another VLAN & SVI, secondary IP addressing is always a 'bodge' to get something working that shouldn't really work. The same goes for DHCP SuperScopes really...

EDIT: Obviously I am talking Windows NT/2000/2003 DHCP Servers here and NOT the DHCP Server functionality in IOS.

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card