Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating 1240 APs from one controller to a new controller

kfarrington
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Guys,

I am installing a new 4404 controller and I want to simply move the APs that are associated with my current controller to the new controller once installed.

The plan is to change the DHCP server once my new WLC is ready and change the option 43 IP address from the old controller to the new controller. This sounds quite simple to me.

BUT,

I know that the LWAPP flash on the AP sometimes gets stuck, and all of the APs are consealed above the ceiling and would be a nighmare to pull down the ceiling and console into all of them.

Should the original plan of just changing the DHCP server option 41 to the new WLC IP address work OK, or do I run a big risk of having to get ceiling tiles down and all that jazz?

Please can anyone advise me?

Many thx indeed,

Ken

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

jeromehenry_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Ken,

FIrst of all, if both controllers run the same code, there is no flash issue. Still, the APs tend to remember the previous controller they were connected to, so you might see APs taking a Looong time to join the new controller, but they should eventually join anyway.

A few other ways to do it:

- my favourite: add the new controller to the same mobility group as the first one and make them know each other (adding each controller IP and MAC to the other one). Then define this new controller as the primary controller on all APs, reboot them.

- Variation: if you use WCS, use a template to push the APs to the new controller.

- If you replace the controller, configure the new one with the same IP addresses as the former one (and of course remove the old one before plugging the new one).

- You can also put one of the APs in the same subnet as the new one, and use OTAP to have the others join it.

Keep in mind that option 43 is just one way, among others, for the AP to discover as many controllers as it possibly can before choosing which one is the best to join. Changing option 43 will not remove the info about the old controller from the AP memory, so it might be more efficient to push them to the new one more gently... but the option 43 technique should work anyway...

hth

J

View solution in original post

Jerome has some good points, the thing is, are you planning on rebooting the ap's so that they get the information from dhcp? If you really don't want that hassel, then like Jerome mentioned, just add the new wlc to the mobility group info (both wlc should have the other) and then change the ap's primary controller to the new lwc. You can do this manually or if you have WCS, push out a template. Make sure you have AP Fallback enabled on the existing wlc so that the ap will know that it has to join the primary.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

jeromehenry_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Ken,

FIrst of all, if both controllers run the same code, there is no flash issue. Still, the APs tend to remember the previous controller they were connected to, so you might see APs taking a Looong time to join the new controller, but they should eventually join anyway.

A few other ways to do it:

- my favourite: add the new controller to the same mobility group as the first one and make them know each other (adding each controller IP and MAC to the other one). Then define this new controller as the primary controller on all APs, reboot them.

- Variation: if you use WCS, use a template to push the APs to the new controller.

- If you replace the controller, configure the new one with the same IP addresses as the former one (and of course remove the old one before plugging the new one).

- You can also put one of the APs in the same subnet as the new one, and use OTAP to have the others join it.

Keep in mind that option 43 is just one way, among others, for the AP to discover as many controllers as it possibly can before choosing which one is the best to join. Changing option 43 will not remove the info about the old controller from the AP memory, so it might be more efficient to push them to the new one more gently... but the option 43 technique should work anyway...

hth

J

Jerome has some good points, the thing is, are you planning on rebooting the ap's so that they get the information from dhcp? If you really don't want that hassel, then like Jerome mentioned, just add the new wlc to the mobility group info (both wlc should have the other) and then change the ap's primary controller to the new lwc. You can do this manually or if you have WCS, push out a template. Make sure you have AP Fallback enabled on the existing wlc so that the ap will know that it has to join the primary.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Guys,

A BIG 5 for both of you. some really good info here and that is excellent news. I had a vision of getting out contruction people involved to take the ceiling tiles down, and me climing up a ladder with a laptop.

Many thx for this indeed. Has given me a lot of confidence.

Cheers guys.

Virtual Beers in the post :)))

Thx

Ken

I am also trying to move AP's that are connected to a 4402 to a new wism. I would like to use the mobility group option, do you know if there is any implications in this situation, especially as the 4402 is on much older code than the new wism.

any help would be much appreciated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card