Views
Helpful
Replies

C2950 boot system command

vpersaud001
Level 3
Level 3

Hello all,

During an IOS upgrade the IOS was installed in a sub-directory - flash:/flash/c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA11.bin. I don't know how. Upon rebooting the switch boots up to switch: prompt and I have to manually point to the IOS command boot flash:/flash/c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA11.bin. The config-reg value is 0xF.

I entered command boot system flash:/flash/c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA11.bin and boot system /flash/c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA11.bin and saved each one but neither helped.

Any idea why the boot system command won't take? Thanks.

7 Replies 7

n.nandrekar
Level 4
Level 4

hi!

You would have to change the boot options (confreg) to 0x2102. Tho option 0xF would tell the device to boot from rommon. Use the following procedure :

rommon 2 > confreg 0x2102

You must reset or power cycle for new config to take effect

=== or ======

rommon 3 > priv

You now have access to the full set of monitor commands.

Warning: some commands will allow you to destroy your

configuration and/or system images and could render

the machine unbootable.

rommon 5 > confreg

Configuration Summary

(Virtual Configuration Register: 0x2)

enabled are:

[ 0 ] break/abort has effect

[ 1 ] console baud: 9600

boot: ...... image specified by the boot system commands or default to: cisco2-Cat6k-Sup32

do you wish to change the configuration? y/n [n]: y

enable "diagnostic mode"? y/n [n]:

enable "use net in IP bcast address"? y/n [n]:

enable "load rom after netboot fails"? y/n [n]:

enable "use all zero broadcast"? y/n [n]:

disable "break/abort has effect"? y/n [n]:

enable "ignore system config info"? y/n [n]:

change console baud rate? y/n [n]:

change the boot characteristics? y/n [n]: y <<<<<<<<<

enter to boot:

0 = ROM Monitor

1 = the boot helper image

2-15 = boot system

[2]: 2 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Configuration Summary

(Virtual Configuration Register: 0x2)

enabled are:

[ 0 ] break/abort has effect

[ 1 ] console baud: 9600

boot: ...... image specified by the boot system commands or default to: cisco2-Cat6k-Sup32

do you wish to change the configuration? y/n [n]: n

rommon 6 > sync

rommon 7 > reset

Resetting .......

Either of these will set the config reg to 0x

Regards,

Niranjan

(please rate helpful posts)

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll try that as soon as I can get a webex session going with someone on site.

Niranjan.... Per cisco documentation,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_configuration_example09186a0080169627.shtml, the config reg value can't be changed on the 2950.

I've removed and put back the IOS file without resolving the issue. Thanks for your help anyway.

Oh! Sorry!

Did you try the

"The Switch Goes to ROMmon Mode (switch: prompt) as Automatic Boot does not Occur"

section config given in the link that you just posted? That should work. I was trying to suggest the same which is done by use of config registers in other platforms. Probably 2900 needs this method.

Regards,

Niranjan

I did. Thanks. :)

It's an old switch and may be shot - we're going to replace it.

FYI: The mode button on the switch was stuck causing it to boot up into ROMMON mode (to boot the 2950 to rommon requires holding down the mode button for 10 secs.). Toggling the mode button to free it up resolved the issue.

Thanks for your help.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If its in a directory your boot statement would have to be "boot system flash:c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA11/c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA11.bin. The upgrade must have used a .tar file to upgrade.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: