ccie recert question

Unanswered Question

The last recert I took and passed was Feb 2007. My CCIE expires Apr 2009 so I took the exam last week at networkers-Jun 2008 which I thought would recert me but my status is not updated, even though it shows my passed test in my profile.

I've opened a case with Cisco but I cannot think of a reason why my Jun 2008 CCIE R&S pass wouldn't count to recert my Apr 2009 expiration.

Any advice?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Richard Burts Sat, 07/05/2008 - 07:26

Jamey

My first thought is that there is frequently some lag in time between taking the test and getting the results into the right place in the (multiple) databases used for certification and certification tracking. Perhaps it is just a matter of timing and the renewal will show up.

My second thought is that there is one database used by the certification tracking system to display tests taken and test results, and a different database used to process your CCIE information. I recently had an experience where I had taken (and passed) the recert test but it did not renew/extend my CCIE certification. It was quite frustrating because I could look in the Certification Tracking System and see the passing grade on the recert test, but my certification was not renewed. I opened a case with certification support and they found that a duplicate record had been created in the CCIE database and it interfered with correct processing of my recert. They did get my issue resolved and I hope they will get your issue resolved also.

If you have opened a case with certification support then you have done the right thing. My only advice is to stay in touch with them and to track closely any progress that they are making.

HTH

Rick

Here's the deal:

Say you pass the CCIE lab on Feb 1 2005-you must recertify by Feb 1 2007.

If you pass the CCIE Written again on Jan 1 2007, you will be recertified to Feb 1 2009 BUT now you can't apply another passed CCIE Written exam toward your CCIE recert until AFTER Jan 1 2009 (the date of your last passed CCIE Written), leaving you 1 month to recertify.

Good times, eh?

cfolkerts Mon, 07/07/2008 - 13:02

My advice would be to wait. I took my CCIE recert at Networkers on 6/24 and finally today I verified in the Certification tracking system that I am certified til 2/2011. It just takes a little time to get your status updated.

Regards

yeah, my 6/2008 test is in my profile; however, it won't count toward a recert even though it's been way more than 6 months since I last took the exam.

My CCIE expires 4/2009 and the last time I passed the ccie written was 3/2007, meaning any test I take until 3/2009 (two years from my last pass) does NOT count. I just got off the phone with cisco and that's the way it is.

brad.holding Mon, 07/07/2008 - 23:49

So for the exam to count as a recert you need to sit (and pass) the exam within a month of your actual recert date? Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

Kevin Dorrell Tue, 07/08/2008 - 02:04

This is really bad news. If I understand you correctly, the minimum interval between written passes must be two years. But the expiry of the CCIE is two years. So, as you go through the years, the earliest recertification date (as determined by the minimum interval between written tests) will gradually creep forwards and get closer and closer to the CCIE expiry date (multiple of two years from the lab pass), until they collide. Once they collide, you cannot help but your CCIE becomes dormant.

That cannot be serious!

I had thought the minimum between CCIE writtens was 1 year. I'm going to check it out now.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

You are correct about the creep thing. I added another note to my case asking what happens if you do go past your recert date (in my case 4/2009) and then say pass the written again say 6/2009. Will I then, each recert period, have to let my CCIE go into suspended mode before I can even take the written again? I'll let this thread know what they say. What utter nonsense. All other certs, of course, make your new recert date be the last time you passed the necessary exam. I have no idea why they treat the CCIE like this.

Kevin Dorrell Tue, 07/08/2008 - 02:22

OK, here it is, from http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/ccie/policies/index.html#14

"To maintain active CCIE status, CCIEs are required to pass either a CCIE written exam of their choosing from among all of the currently available written exams, or a CCIE lab exam in a new track every 24 months. Candidates can only apply one passed written exam towards recertification for every 24 month recertification period. Certification candidates are responsible for keeping track of their certification expiration dates; your recertification deadline can be viewed online anytime (with login) at Certification Status. Subsequent recertification deadlines are always based on your original certification date, not on when you took your last recertification exam."

"If your CCIE recertification requirements are not completed on or before the certification's expiration date, your CCIE certification will be suspended for one year. Candidates have one year to recertify their CCIE certification by passing the required written exam. If a candidate does not recertify prior to the one year suspension period, all CCIE certification requirements must be completed again to obtain the certification (pass both the written exam and the lab exam.) Please see Recertification for detailed information."

The way I read this is that your June 2008 should count towards your recert. Because ...

Your Feb 2007 pass was taken during the period Apr 2005 - Apr 2007. It should therefore have extended you for Apr 2007 to Apr 2009.

Your Jun 2008 pass was taken during the period Apr 2007 - Apr 2009. It should therefore have extended you for Apr 2009 to Apr 2011.

Does anyone else read it differently?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

P.S. I passed the written in Jun 2005, and the lab on the third attempt in May 2008. Under these rules, it strikes me that the best thing I can do is to take the written again now, to extend for the period May 2010 to May 2012. Surely that cannot be right either. I'm still confused.

This is the policy that causes the issue:

"Candidates can only apply one passed written exam towards recertification for every 24 month recertification."

"Your Feb 2007 pass was taken during the period Apr 2005 - Apr 2007. It should therefore have extended you for Apr 2007 to Apr 2009. "

Correct-it did.

"Your Jun 2008 pass was taken during the period Apr 2007 - Apr 2009. It should therefore have extended you for Apr 2009 to Apr 2011. "

Incorrect because my Feb 2007 pass is still in effect as "only one passed exam can count every 24 months." I have to wait until Feb 2009 to have another passed CCIE written count toward recert.

I spent a long time on the phone with Cisco about this and they say, that's what the 1 year suspended grace period is for.

Haha...what a stupid policy. I was at networkers when I took the June test and actually sat in at the netvet/CCIE lunch with John Chambers...if I had known this then, I would have brought it up. :)

Kevin Dorrell Tue, 07/08/2008 - 06:30

Well that is really dumb. I would argue that they are misinterpreting it as "Candidates can only apply one passed written exam towards recertification for every 24 months." I submit that the word "recertification" at the end of the sentence is significant. It implies that the 24-month period relates to the biennial recertification cyle, not to the interval between the exam passes.

This is worth persuing ... the way they are interpreting it is illogical. The way they interpret it, some people could hold a four year validity, whilst others are forced to go suspended every two years.

How can you hold a four-year validity? Pass the written in June 2005, pass the lab in May 2008 (third attempt), then pass the written again the day after the lab.

You can design a creep-free policy, and still not allow more than 3-year validity. It's easy ... a recertification is valid if it is taken within + or - 12 months of your biennial date. If it is +, then you are suspended between your biennial date and the day you pass the exam. Your biennial remains unchanged.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

P.S. Not sure about your last sentence. How was the lunch? ;-)

"It implies that the 24-month period relates to the biennial recertification cyle, not to the interval between the exam passes. "

Yeah, it's misleading. The passing of a recert exam starts a timer for 24 months where no other passed CCIE exams count toward CCIE recert.

"You can design a creep-free policy, and still not allow more than 3-year validity. It's easy ... a recertification is valid if it is taken within + or - 12 months of your biennial date. If it is +, then you are suspended between your biennial date and the day you pass the exam. Your biennial remains unchanged. "

I agree. They make it too complicated.

Florian Pressler Sat, 07/12/2008 - 03:45

This is an interesting discussion. I'm getting the impression that the rules for CCIE-recertification aren't really well thought through, and confusing for both CCIEs and Cisco. I hope they will think about them and modify them to a more easy to understand, less confusing and fair way.

I also want to add another thing: Some might not know, but the rules for recertification where already changed not too long ago. Previously the rules where rather lax. I know this from collegues of mine, who are CCIE for a few years longer than I am. Those rules allowed them to take the written test for recertification for two times within a short time-period, which extended the validity of the certification for another 4 years. I guess when Cisco noticed that they changed the rules to prevent this from happening.

Jamey, please give us the update when you get to know more from this team leader.

Finally, all my data appears to be fixed. After two weeks and many calls, what I can gather is this:

Say your original CCIE date is 1/2005. Your recert date is 1/2007. You have to take the recert exam in that 24 month period but you have to wait 6 months after 1/2005.

Now my new recert date is 4/2011. From what I've been told my the Cisco rep is I have to pass a CCIE written exam sometime between 4/2009 and 4/2011 (24 month timeframe) which would recert me to to 2013, then recert again sometime between 4/2011-4/2013 to recert to 4/2015, etc...

FYI

rawatkuldeep2312 Sat, 06/11/2016 - 22:32

I need same kind of info :

Can anyone confirm if Cisco provides one year Grace Period after ending of 2 years of CCIE LAB (any lab). what does it mean?

Is this- Our CCIE # remain with us but in suspend mode and if re-certify in within Grace Period it extends the validity of certification and CCIE no becomes active for next 2 years (-minus the day you took after 2 years)? 

Do I need to check with Cisco or register the ticket.. etc?

Please validate..thanks in advance..!!

Richard Burts Sun, 06/12/2016 - 15:10

Cisco does provide a one year grace period. When you pass the CCIE lab your CCIE is valid for two years. Say for example that you pass the lab on June 1 2014. Your CCIE is valid for 2 years to June 1 2016. If you pass a CCIE written exam before June 1 2016 you are renewed for 2 years. If you do not pass a CCIE written by June 1 2016 then your status becomes suspended. During the year of your suspension you still have your CCIE number but if your employer wants to use your CCIE to qualify for certain qualifications then your CCIE no longer qualifies. If you pass a CCIE written during the suspended year then you are renewed, till June 1 2018. If you do not pass a CCIE written during the suspended year then on June 1 2017 your CCIE becomes inactive. At this point if you want to restore your CCIE then you must not only pass a written exam but you must also pass the lab exam again.

HTH

Rick

saurabh_om Mon, 08/15/2016 - 02:53

Hi Richard,

where we do get a confirmation link of this from Cisco. So if someone is not able to recertify within 2 year, he has a grace period of 1 year to pass the exam.   For this one year his CCIE number will be in suspended mode.

thanks

Saurabh

Actions

This Discussion