Certif. phishing attempt

Unanswered Question
Jul 3rd, 2008
I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Paolo Bevilacqua Fri, 07/04/2008 - 00:40

Well, the may the site it's made (ver poor), th redirecting links, the strange email address, all this make it seem very suspicious to me.

I would like to see an official endorsement by cisco on that, even more, I would like to see either the cisco URL to be used, or if they are not cisco, make it clear.

Curretly it is not like that.

Kevin Dorrell Fri, 07/04/2008 - 00:39

I got this e-mail (or something similar) from rnmk.com too, so I checked it out with someone on the inside at Cisco. Apparently it was legit.

I am glad someone else had alarm bells, and not just me. Maybe it was a test ... how many people would suspect phishing!

Keep on you guard!

Kevin Dorrell

Paolo Bevilacqua Fri, 07/04/2008 - 01:28

Hi kevin,

Even if legit, it is a totally sloppy attitude by cisco to allow someone to do this kind of business under their name:

Right Now Technologies, Inc

40 Enterprise Blvd

Bozeman, MT 59718

Nowhere we can find signs of an official cisco affiliation. It does not say who keeps your personal data and for which purposes. I maintain my position, do not subscribe that site. Beside, why you should do that ?

It is not an isolated case however. In a separate case, I got replies about a marketing issue sent from the email address of the outsourcing company administering the program on cisco's behalf. I really think cisco should check better who do they allow to use their brand and how they do that.

Kevin Dorrell Fri, 07/04/2008 - 02:26

Paolo, sono d'accordo.

I totally agree that it is sloppy, and they should reconsider it. Normally I would have ignored the e-mail as Spam, but fit was proposing something I was especially interested in. It was only for that reason that I investigated the origin of the message.

If they want to make their messages credible, they should originate from a verifiable Cisco address.

Kevin Dorrell

n.nandrekar Fri, 07/04/2008 - 03:15

As fas as the site "ciscocert.custhelp.com" is concerned, the URL on this page itself directs us to that site. Check "Certifications online support" under "support" under "related Links" in the right pane of this (netpro) page.

I do agree with everyone though that the mail addresses uses should be credible..

Paolo Bevilacqua Fri, 07/04/2008 - 04:08

You are right Niranjan.

Again on the substandard quality of this website, check on the rightmost corner "Toolkit: roll over tolls below", only "print" does something.

Really shameful for a multi billion company to outsource services that are then provided like that.

This Discussion