Views
Helpful
Replies

CME: Reception DNs What is Best Practice

rameezsardar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am working on CME on cisco 2811 connecting through 1 pri with PSTN. Pri master number is 5555200 and i have 200 DIDs. So scanerio is reception should receive all call coming on 200 extension (PSTN is sending just 3 digits) and if someone from outside dial direct number, he could reach directly. For reception, i have c7965g with expension module 7914. What i am doing, i am configuring 14 speed-dials on 7914 and 6 dns on phone's line button with some private numbers like 101,102,103,104,105,106 and configure these DNs in ephone-hunt with pilot number 200. So if someone calls on 200, call will be terminated on said DNs on reception's phone.

For other users i configure extesion from range 201 to 399 same as DIDs so that outside calls can also be terminated directly.

Now my question, is this a good practice or please tell me that is best in this scenario.

Best Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pcameron
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Here is a useful way of handling multiple calls on a receptionist phone. Mant customers use this and it works well.

Define multiple ephone-dn's as dual line. Use the same number on each DN, and add a preference command to each DN.

Use the 'no huntstop' command to allow CME to cycle through the DN's if one line has a call, but use the 'huntstop channel' command to ensure that the second line of the DN is kept free - in the example below you can call the main pilot number of 200 , and the call will match on DN 20. The next call to 200 will bypass the second line on DN 20, and will ring through to DN 21.

Having the second line free is important as it allows the receptionist to answer the call, place it on hold and transfer it directly via the second line of the DN.

With the config below, you can handle up to 6 inwards calls, but this could increase up to 10 with additional DN's and preferences.

The call forward no answer is to direct the call to voice mail, and the hold alert rings the receptionist back if they leave a call on hold for too long.

All the dn's are then applied to the second button on the 7961 handset using an button overlay command. The first button is dedicated to the internal extension number.

ephone-dn 20 dual-line

number 200

label Receptionist line 1

preference 1

call-forward noan 99 timeout 15

huntstop channel

no huntstop

hold-alert 45 originator

!

!

ephone-dn 21 dual-line

number 200

label Receptionist line 2

preference 2

huntstop channel

no huntstop

hold-alert 45 originator

!

!

ephone-dn 22 dual-line

number 200

label Receptionist line 3

preference 3

huntstop channel

no huntstop

hold-alert 45 originator

!

!

ephone-dn 23 dual-line

number 200

label receptionist line 4

preference 4

huntstop channel

no huntstop

hold-alert 45 originator

!

!

ephone-dn 24 dual-line

number 200

label Receptionist line 5

preference 5

huntstop channel

no huntstop

hold-alert 45 originator

!

!

ephone-dn 25 dual-line

number 200

label Receptionist line 6

preference 6

huntstop channel

no huntstop

hold-alert 45 originator

!

ephone 1

mac-address 1111.2222.3333

type 7961

button 1:1 2o20,21,22,23,24,25

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

In practice you will find that 6 DN for receptionists only can be too much, as each takes two calls already. Moreover, ephone-hunt for these is not necessary. Just configure them in a call-forward busy, overlay with "c" under the same button. So you have more free buttons to do other things.

On the 7914 you can find more conveniente to put monitor "m" or watch "w" (that requires cme 4.2), these do work as speed dial and single button transfers toward other ephones.

Please rate post if it helps!

pcameron
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Here is a useful way of handling multiple calls on a receptionist phone. Mant customers use this and it works well.

Define multiple ephone-dn's as dual line. Use the same number on each DN, and add a preference command to each DN.

Use the 'no huntstop' command to allow CME to cycle through the DN's if one line has a call, but use the 'huntstop channel' command to ensure that the second line of the DN is kept free - in the example below you can call the main pilot number of 200 , and the call will match on DN 20. The next call to 200 will bypass the second line on DN 20, and will ring through to DN 21.

Having the second line free is important as it allows the receptionist to answer the call, place it on hold and transfer it directly via the second line of the DN.

With the config below, you can handle up to 6 inwards calls, but this could increase up to 10 with additional DN's and preferences.

The call forward no answer is to direct the call to voice mail, and the hold alert rings the receptionist back if they leave a call on hold for too long.

All the dn's are then applied to the second button on the 7961 handset using an button overlay command. The first button is dedicated to the internal extension number.

ephone-dn 20 dual-line

number 200

label Receptionist line 1

preference 1

huntstop channel

no huntstop

hold-alert 45 originator

!

!

ephone-dn 21 dual-line

number 200

label Receptionist line 2

preference 2

huntstop channel

no huntstop

hold-alert 45 originator

!

!

ephone-dn 22 dual-line

number 200

label Receptionist line 3

preference 3

huntstop channel

no huntstop

hold-alert 45 originator

!

!

ephone-dn 23 dual-line

number 200

label receptionist line 4

preference 4

huntstop channel

no huntstop

hold-alert 45 originator

!

!

ephone-dn 24 dual-line

number 200

label Receptionist line 5

preference 5

huntstop channel

no huntstop

hold-alert 45 originator

!

!

ephone-dn 25 dual-line

number 200

label Receptionist line 6

preference 6

huntstop channel

no huntstop

hold-alert 45 originator

!

ephone 1

mac-address 1111.2222.3333

type 7961

button 1:1 2o20,21,22,23,24,25

Hi,

Thank you dears for reply. I tried this but when i put 2 calls on hold, i was unable to recieve 3th call samultaniously. Dialing phone was showing that dialed party is ringing but no indication on this phone even i tried overlay with "c" but same.

one thing tell me in your configuration line "button 1:1 2o20,21,22,23,24,25" what would be DN 1 (1:1)?

Waiting.......

Best Regards

Hi,

please try the following:

button 2o20,21,22,23,24,25

button 3x2

button 4x2

Please report if you're able to see the third and further calls coming in.

Another alternative would be to use CME 4.3 that supports eight calls per DN.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: