IDSM-2 Password Recovery

Unanswered Question
Jul 6th, 2008

I have to do password recovery for IDSM-2. I have read the document available for password recovery. It shows that i have to re-image the IOS because i am unable to log into IDSM-2. Will Re-image will disturb the normal communication of the switch and other modules however IDSM-2 is not being used at all. Is downtime is required for IDSM2 i mean it will be a fresh installation of IDSM-2

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Farrukh Haroon Mon, 07/07/2008 - 01:19

Talha it depends on your setup. What else are you using, FWSM? What is the user's default gateway? (SVI on core switch, SVI on FWSM etc.)? Are you using multiple IDSM(s) through ether-channel load-balancing?

talha_490 Mon, 07/07/2008 - 05:24

We have to configure IDSM now. It is not yet configured . you can say that just the module is places in chassis. Yes there are other modules like FWSM and Anomaly detection

Farrukh Haroon Mon, 07/07/2008 - 05:37

Well if its not configured, then there will be no issues. Go ahead and upgrade.

jamesand Mon, 07/07/2008 - 07:10

You can re-image your idsm2 without affecting any of the other modules in the switch. This link takes you to the steps:

NOTE: The idsm2 has to partions:

1) Application partition - this is what you will be re-imaging. It is what runs the IPS s/w, inspecting traffic and generating alerts.

2) Maintenance partition - a partition that runs from CF on the idsm2 (switch reset command with cf:1 added to boot into this partition). After booting into this partition you will be able to re-image the AP and then reset the idsm2 and boot up into the AP where you can enter the default cisco user/PW.

This Discussion