Helpful
Replies

3550 keeps logging out

james.mathieson
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I have a 48 port, Cisco 3550 XL with the following IOS:-

IOS (tm) C3500XL Software (C3500XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5)XU, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

The switch works fine, but what seems to happen when I'm logged into it is that it logs me out every 30 seconds or so. It does this in telnet mode, or even with the console. My exec-timeouts are 20 minutes, so I know it's nothing to do with this. I tried upgrading the IOS but as the switched logged me out, it stopped the upgrade.

Has anyone had any experience of this?

5 Replies 5

daniel.lukic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi James,

do you have to reauthenticate when you reconnect to the console after the switch logged you out?

I think it's a configuration related problem. Please post your configuration.

To make sure it's not a hardware related problem you may want to start the switch to bootloader mode after office hours. Find info on: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

If even in bootloader mode your switch drops your console session every 30 seconds it's not a configuration related problem.

Regards, Daniel

Yep, every time it logs out, you have to re-enter your credentials.

I managed to get to site today to test if it done the same at the rommon mode. That was fine, but then you don't have to log onto it. I forgot to do the blank config after a password recovery.

My config is pretty standard. See below:-

I have to say, it's confusing me a little.

line con 0

session-timeout 20

exec-timeout 0 20

logging synchronous

transport input none

stopbits 1

line vty 0 4

session-timeout 20

exec-timeout 0 20

logging synchronous

transport input telnet

line vty 5 15

session-timeout 20

exec-timeout 0 20

logging synchronous

transport input telnet

James,

Your exec timeouts are set to 20 seconds instead of 20 minutes.

try

exec-timeout 20 0

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/11_3/configfun/command/reference/frconban.html#wp1852

Mark

Mark,

If one was ever to feel a little silly, the time would be now. I've done this hundreds of times. Just goes to show you!

Thanks for pointing out the error in my ways.

It happens. That's why we have forums like this for a sanity check. I am glad your problem was resolved.

Mark

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco