cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Telnet to Switch Issue

kian_hong2000
Level 1
Level 1

I have two Switches A and B. Currently, the fibre is connected to only Switch A which is live.

Say now i bring in a new Switch B. I try to trunk the fastethernet to Switch A and it works. I am able to access internet through Switch B.

1) However, i cannot telnet to Switch B. I have already configure a telnet password. What could went wrong?

2) I tried to telnet to Switch A but i could not type in the username and password.

The moment i type in, it will display:

"Username: Connection closed by foreign host."

Why it will affect Switch A connection?

3)Lastly, i choose to connect from fastethernet interface to the other fasterthernet interface. Both are 3560 series switches.

Is it because i did not use a GigaStack module to connect to each other or fasterthernet interface is not allowed to connected to another fasterthernet interface?

6 Replies 6

joseph.derrick
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Have you configured a management ip address on switch B ?

Can you telnet to switch A if your host is directly connected to its ports and not through switch B ?

Thanks,

K0rg

Both Switch A and B have a different management IP and are within the same subnet and domain name.

I am able to telnet to Switch A. However, i cannot proceed after i telnet in. All the hosts are connected to Switch A and B and are able to access internet.

This issue is i cannot remotely monitor both the swithes after i add in a new switch B.

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

to make sure I understand.

Switch A

vlan 1 (management)

IP address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0 (example only)

Switch B

vlan 1 (management)

IP address 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.0 (example only)

on switch A do a sh cd neigh detail and see if switch A can see switch B

I am able to see Switch A from Switch B.

I think it is a seperate issue. I take out the connection from Switch B to Switch A.

However, Switch A stills get the same error.

User Access Verification

Username: Connection closed by foreign host.

What causes it to be disconnect?

I have found out the root cause.

I have type in the same IP address in Switch B. That is the reason why i telnet to Switch A, it always disconnect itself. It is a human error.

I have tried to connected through fasterthernet interfaces between two switches using cross cable and it works.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card