What books to buy

Unanswered Question
Jul 6th, 2008

Hi Guys i have finished my CCNA and i am currently about to undertake my CCNP BCSI exam.

I wanted to know, should i just buy the

CCNP BSCI Official Exam Certification Guide, Fourth Ed.

or do i need to get the

Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks (BSCI) (Authorized Self-Study Guide), Third Ed.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I will be studying alone and want to pass this exam within the next 6 months so i can renew my CCNA for another 3 years and continue with my CCNP study.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Hi There

In my opinion these books really compliment each other. I used both for my BSCI studies. I wwnt with the Authorised self study guide initially to learn about the different technologies in detail. Then when I felt that I had a good grasp of the material I switched to the Exam certification guide to focus on the material I needed to know for teh exam.

I also purchased a number of titles which are geared towards the CCIE R&S written exam, but which were really excellent reference material.

Best Regards,

Michael.

Milan Peyrac Mon, 07/07/2008 - 00:05

Thanks Michael I think you are right. I might purchase both books and read both starting with the self study guide.

I am under a strict time schedule as my CCNA expires in 7 months.

Do you think i would have time to read both?

Danilo Dy Mon, 07/07/2008 - 04:04

if you know the technology, just get the exam certification guide.

if you don't know the technology (or not sure about it), get both study guide and certification guide.

it depends on how you manage your time when studying for the exam.

Danilo Dy Mon, 07/07/2008 - 04:06

if you know the technology, just get the exam certification guide.

if you don't know the technology (or not sure about it), get both study guide and certification guide.

it depends on how you manage your time when studying for the exam.

Milan Peyrac Mon, 07/07/2008 - 14:02

yep thats very true. I know the technology to some degree, it has been about 2 years since i got my CCNA, so i think i will purchase both books and go through the exam certification guide reffering to the self study guide for more information.

Thanks again to everyone for their input

Milan

Wilson Samuel Tue, 07/08/2008 - 06:24

Hi Milan,

Since books are a costly investment I shall request you to explore SafariBooksonline as it has all the Cisco Press books, plus you can choose to keep many books and replace it back after reading it. The only disadvantage is that its electronic, however I like it after an initial bad starting.

Now I can get any books the moment the publisher releases it and once I have read it I can replace it back and go ahead with the next one.

Also just one more point, most of the Cisco Press these days are coming in Hardcover a thing that I really hate it, plust to finish a chapter one has to turn so many pages however on Safari its just one page scrolling down, so i feel that I have to read only one page to go through the entire chapter and that really motivates me... finally I prefer reading through the HTML format reading it makes it lot more easier to navigate.

Lastly, you can try safari for 1 month free!

So may be you can just finish the exam meanwhile and close the account before they charge you!

All the best for your exam!!

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Actions

This Discussion