cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which Switch Best

nick.whalen
Level 1
Level 1

I am setting up a new system for a resort. We have a Cisco 2811 Router connect to 6 t-1s. And have about 500 to 600 users on the high side. What switch would you recommend that I buy for this system. Thanks for all of the help.

2 Replies 2

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

There is so much you have not told us that it is almost impossible to answer.

It depends on your topological design, it depends on your budget, it depends on your QoS requirements and applications, it depends on your cabling structure, it depends on your business case.

With 500 users, you will probably need several switches and internal routing.

I'm afraid you are going to have to call in a Cisco account manager or an independent consultant to help you out, who will study your requirements and make a recommendation.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

Nick,

with 500 to 600 users are all of them going to be using wired, could they be using wireless?

What is your intent?

Do you need to wire each room to a closet?

If so, how may floors and how many rooms on each floor and how many drops in each room?

Do you need redundancy?

Will you build the network out with Core, Distribution, Access approach?

To answer this you need to either provide more details on your topology or as indicated above use a sales rep or contractor to assist. There are a lot of people out there willing to help out, they just need the details to do so.

I am curious, where is the resort?

I'm pretty cheap! hahaha

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco