cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

where is the flash on a router

Just Kennie
Level 1
Level 1

Please i have a 1800 router. each time i log on through console, the ios seems corrupt. my question is how can i reload the ios, since i cant enter through console or telnet. again there is this square removable card at the back of the router ,is that the flash where the ios is.?

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes. What exactly makes you think that IOS is corrupt ?

tdrais
Level 7
Level 7

That card does contain the ios. You should always be able to replace the IOS from the console since older routers did not have external flash cards.

These cards use a standard format so you can just copy a new IOS by inserting the flash into a computer. I have not seen cisco ever officially say that was the method to use to replace a flash image but I do it all the time since it is much faster.

It is very rare to get a IOS to go bad on a router that is running. Most the time it is during a upgrade that the file did not copy right. If it went bad without any change I would suspect a bad flash card. There are actually many files on the flash other than the IOS that run the WEB based configuration so be careful what you delete or format. If you use the command interface like most people then you can get by with just a IOS on the flash.

Have you tried going into RomMon mode?

Thanks, what i am saying. each time i switch on the router through hyperterminal. immediately it start to populate the screen, it got frozen and tell me the the ios is corrupt. I removed the flash card an use it on another router,its works there. I put another flash card in this faulty router and it still does not work.

Not good. Sounds like a hardware problem with the router. If you are lucky it is a ram error since many times you get strange errors as it attempts to copy the flash into the ram on boot.

The RAM is pretty much the only part you can fix yourself. If you have a service contract then i wouldn't mess with it.

You could verify it is related to the flash by loading the IOS from the network. This is a pain to configure and even if it works you don't want to run production like this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: