Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame Relay Support

Rupesh Kashyap
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have one 3500 Switch and four routers (3800). I have connected all routers to switch & want to configure Frame Relay between Routers. I know how to configure FR between routers (point to multipoint). But I have no idea how to configure Switch. I have no idea how to configure DLCI on switch so that routers can be configured for the same. I am only concerned about FR Switch configuration (Hub). Please help me.

10 Replies 10

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Rupesh, it sound like there is a misunderstanding here.

A Frame Relay switch is not like an Ethernet switch. It is a router chassis with lots of serial interfaces, configured to switch serial FR DLCIs. So your 3500 Ethernet switch is probably not what you are looking for.

Do any of your routers have several serial interfaces, and cpould you sacrifice that router for a FR switch? If not, you could buy yourself something cheap like a 2520 router, which makes an admirable 4-way FR switch. Of course, each of your 3800 routers will need a serial interface to connect as an FR DTE, and you will need back-to-back cables.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Ok Kevin,

I have one 7200 series router for Hub & 3800 router for spokes. I have four spokes. I know the configuration on Spokes, but could not understand the configuration of Hub. How can I give DLCI circuit number to spokes and all other related thing.

Have you read my message above ?

Have you read the "frame relay switching" manual ?

Which 3800 router are you talking about? 3801 or 38x5 ?

Hi,

It is 3801, beside this , I have 2821 series router also. I am only concerned with Centralize Hub configuation. Please help me.

Is this a lab that you are trying to do? What is the actual goal ?

As Kevin said, you cannot do Frame Relay without serial connections.

Hi,

I have multiple serial connection on the Hub router (7200 series), how can I configure Hub.

You also need serial on the 3801 as well.

Please note that the term hub would usually be interpreted as being part of a hub-and-spoke setup, which is different to a frame-relay switch.

If you have a router that you want to use as a frame-relay switch, you have to first enable this:

Router(config)#frame-relay switching

You then have to configure each interface to route from one DLCI to another:

interface Serial1/0

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay

frame-relay intf-type dce

frame-relay route xxx interface Serialy/y zzz

xxx: incoming DLCI

Serialy/y: exit interface

zzz: outgoing DLCI

Thanks James. I was looking for this configuration.

Thanks a lot.

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

since the connection between routers is ethernet, you can only configure FR switching over GRE tunnels. This is documented in the manual section for "Frame Relay switching".

Please rate post if it helps!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: