cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SSH Access Not working on ASA's

redwarrior
Level 1
Level 1

I am configuring my ASA's for ssh access prior to removing telnet access to them. However, I'm running into a problem. After I have configured ssh access (assigned a domain, generated my rsa key, and enabled ssh), I am unable to log in. My ssh client is running ssh v.1 and I've checked to make sure the ASA is allowing v.1 and 2. I've also checked to be sure the username and password for the account I have tried have been correct. Basically, it's behaving as if I have a bad password, as it accepts the connection and the username, but fails to accept the password. These accounts all have a privilege level of 15 and I'm able to use them to log into the ASDM. The policies associated with these accounts are the default and I've tried both configuring a new account through ASDM and the CLI. Neither seems to work. Any ideas?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

anthony.king
Level 1
Level 1

If you are using local username/passwords, make sure you have this command: "aaa authentication ssh console LOCAL"

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Karen,

What you are saying is that none of the accounts passwords do work when ssh to the firewall? does this issue applies to the interfaces you have allow ssh under such as inside/outside ?

What version code are you running.

Could you capture ssh debug and post it.

asa#terminal monitor

in config mode

asa(config)#logging monitor 7

then issue debug ssh

try connecting to asa via ssh and capture debug output.

to disable debug

asa#no debugg all

And lastly even though ssh debug is a low level process it is adviced to conduct debug troubleshooting off during network production hours.

Rgds

-Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

anthony.king
Level 1
Level 1

If you are using local username/passwords, make sure you have this command: "aaa authentication ssh console LOCAL"

This was exactly my problem. Once I set aaa authentication to local, it works like a charm! Thanks!

you are awesome thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: