cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Duplex problem

rajib_das
Level 1
Level 1

I have connected cisco 7500 router with a cisco switch 2950. The problem i am facing is that we can't running the link with full duplex . The cisco switch is supporting 100 Mbps, 100Base TX and the Router(7500) FastEthernet support 100Mbps, 100Base TX/FX

When I enable the link as full duplex in router the Switch interface(the connected port ) is goes down.(switch port already enabled as full duplex)

But when i connect the same switch with another

Cisco 3745 router , it is working as full duplex link.

It may pointed that the Cisco 7500 router has no "auto" negotiable option as in cisco 3745 router has

"auto" negotiable option( full/half) there.

pls help me.

pls help me.

Regards,

Rajib

3 Replies 3

owillins
Level 6
Level 6

Be careful that some modes (on, nonegotiate, off) explicitly specify in which state the port will end up. A bad configuration can lead to a dangerous, inconsistent state in which one side is trunking and the other side is not.

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

It is a good rule of thumb to not allow routers, switches, servers to use AUTO speed/duplex negotiation.

(specifically for these types of weird problems your facing..among others)

Set your 7500 to 100mbs/Full Duplex statically with the interface commands:

speed 100

duplex full

As you already have your switch at 100/Full statically, you should set the router statically as well.

cowetacoit
Level 1
Level 1

Cross over cable or straight through cable?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: