cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ATA186 Call Manager Express license count question

jonathanwalton
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking to buy 3 ATA186 analog adaptors to be run on Call Manager Express. I've used the ATA186s before, but not on Call Manager Express. I'm trying to figure out if I need 3 licenses or 6. I intend to use both lines on all 3 devices, but I can't get a crystal clear answer on license count.

I'm guessing I need 6.

Can anyone confirm that I need 3 or 6 of the SW-CCME-UL-ANA part number?

Thanks for your time.

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, the data sheet says clearly:

1 per device required.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/phones/ps514/ps515/product_data_sheet09186a008007cd72.html

Please rate post if it helps!

Yes, I saw that, but that still isn't very clear.

Obviously you need at least one license because you're going to use at least one of the 2 ports, but just because you're not required to buy 2 licenses, doesn't mean 2 licenses aren't required to run both ports.

On Call Manager 4 and Call Manager 6, each port takes a license - so I'm guessing it's the same on Call Manager express, but I'm trying to make sure.

Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately it doesn't help me.

Hi, call manager licensing model is different from call manager express, and should not be taken as example.

Since the data sheet does not mention any port count logic, and says "1 per device required" and not "1 per port required", to me that is clear enough.

Furthermore, orders made like that to cisco never met any objection.

On the ATA186 data sheet, both Call Manager and Call Manager Express have the "1 per device required" listed.

Every version of Call Manager I've used (3,4, and 6) consider each port a different device, so if you want to use both ports, you need a license for both.

So just going by both personal experience and the data sheet, it appears that each port needs a license. I agree that the licensing is different in Call Manager Express, so that's why I'm posting this because I can't find any documentation that says "yea" or "nay".

Furthermore, orders made with 2 device licenses for each ATA186 don't meet any objection.

Does anyone have any documentation or personal experience using both ports of an ATA186 in Call Manager Express?

On CME, each SCCP device used counts toward the maximum the router supports and is licensed for.

There are no licensing seats, or DLs to buy for CME like on CM.

Then consider that the ATA license cost is twice the most basic phone without display, to which an analog phone is comparable, so it seem that cisco has consider you will be using 2 ports.

If you want an official answer ultimately, consult your cisco AM or CAM and let us know.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: