cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual 6509 Core - Best Option

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

We are in the process of redesigning the core.

There are several ideas.

The one I like the best is:

2 6509's

720's in each

and bridge the 2 together as one switch, not sure of the exact terminology.

Basically want it to look like a switch stack. Admin from one connection to both devices.

The question is, if we lose one sup will layer 2 still work on the chassis that lost the blade?

What controls the layer 2 function on the switches?

Is the MSFC configured on each side or is it configured on one side and pushed to the other side, kind of like the 3750 stack?

What I am looking for is a redundant core, available all the time. The other idea is 2 seperate set-up's running HSRP, which I am fine with, but do not feel it is the best set-up for us.

Also, at this point money is not really an issue, I know sounds almost too good to be true!

8 Replies 8

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You're looking for VSS. Here's a link that should answer all your questions.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps9336/prod_white_paper0900aecd806ee2ed.html

Hope that helps.

yes, that is exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks!

Could not remember what it was called.

Have you done this?

One quick question before I put myself to sleep with this tonight?

Does this pass all layer 2 info if the sup is down on one of the switches or being upgraded?

Basically, one function we are looking for is either dual sups or the VSS. I happen to like the VSS option but not 100% up on it.

Does any of this make sense?

I have NOT done this, we went with two switches and layer 3 links. If one Sup is down the other takes over for all layer 2 and layer 3 services.

At this moment only one sup per chassis is supported. If it goes down only half part of virtual switch will be working.

Support for two SUP per chassis will be in IOS 12.2.33 SXI

a.alekseev
Level 7
Level 7

what suprevisors do you have?

you can ran VSS only with DFC3C or DFC3CXL

so you must have SUP720-10G

we can get whatever we need.

The idea is what is the best option for what we want to accomplish.

If we need new Sup's then we will get them.

This core must be solid with High availablity and not really be able to take any down time unless we are hit by a bomb. Our data center is actually a storm bunker that can take just about anything, except a bomb dropped from a plane...no lie.

You might want to check out some of the SRNDs too.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns656/networking_solutions_design_guidances_list.html

Like I stated before, we went with two switches and multiple L3 links. For us, this provides high availability with better scalability, and higher throughput capabilities on our network.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card