cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Identifying if router is a hub or spoke

tapdevdem
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering if there is something in the VPN Mibs ( or elsewhere ) that will let me figure out if a particular device is acting as a HUB, spoke or full mesh device for a given VPN. I tried using the Route target type - Import/Export/both, but it didn't seem to help in the MIB I was looking at

If I knew that a router was acting as a hub, I could then probably find the spokes for it, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Thanks, Pat

5 Replies 5

a.alekseev
Level 7
Level 7

There are no mibs, that can let you to figure out if a particular device is acting as a HUB, spoke or full mesh device for a given VPN.

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If this is a DMVPN, try looking at any NHRP related mibs (if any exist).

Regards

Farrukh

tapdevdem
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the replies. I read that when configuring Hub and Spoke, the Hub routers are generally in one VPN, and the Spokes are in another. Is this always the case or could they ever be in the same VPN?

What do you mean by 'same VPN'?

Regards

Farrukh

I cut and pasted out of a Cisco doc and added it below. Maybe different VPNS was the wrong wording.

Actually, I'm trying to find out for a client connected via a VPN, which routers act as Hubs and Spokes. The doc actually says that the Hubs and Spokes have different VRFs (an upstream and a downstream), not VPNs.

I want to look at the MIBs for the VRfs to see

if I can figure out whether the path is actually going to be full-mesh or hub and spoke. I then want to be able to see for a given VPN, the Hub/Spoke relationships.

I.E. Find which are the hubs and which spokes go through which hubs. Thus if a Hub goes down, I'll know certain Spokes are now unreachable.

Here is output from the doc:

Table 1 Feature Information for Configuring Scalable Hub-and-Spoke MPLS VPNs

Feature Name Releases Feature Configuration Information

MPLS VPN: Half Duplex VRF Support 12.3(6)

12.3(11)T

This feature ensures that VPN clients that connect to the

same PE router at the edge of the MPLS VPN use the hub

site to communicate.

The following sections provide information about this

feature:

• Overview, page 2

• Upstream and Downstream VRFs, page 3

• Reverse Path Forwarding Check, page 3

• How to Ensure that MPLS VPN Clients Use the Hub PE

Router, page 4

CCSP,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card