cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot ping the other subnet

ingemartinez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody, today i connect a lan with cisco 2600. conecting it to two switches, making 2 subnets, but i cannot ping to the router or to the other subnet. Could somebody help me? I'm studying to CCENT.

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jorge

You have not given us much to work with and some additional details would be very helpful in our efforts to understand your situation and suggest solutions for your problem.

A good place to start would be to post the configuration of the router interfaces (and even better would be to post the entire router config).

In addition it would be good if you would post the output of show ip interface brief on the router.

We would also need to know how the router is connected to both switches. What port number on each switch is connected to the router and are the ports configured as access ports or as trunk ports. Then we would need to know about the ports where the PCs are connected. Are they access ports or trunk ports? What vlan do they belong to (and what vlan does the router port belong to)?

Finally we need to know how the PCs are configured: what IP address, what netmask, and what default gateway.

If we know these things we may be in a better position to understand your problem and to suggest a solution.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Another problem is i'm trying with Network Visualizer 5.0.

This is the interface brief:

Router(config)#show ip interface brief

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Router(config)#exit

Router#show ip interface brief

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol

FastEthernet0/0 10.87.200.1 YES manual up up

FastEthernet0/1 10.87.201.1 YES manual up up

Serial0/0 10.82.15.2 YES manual up up

Serial0/1 unassigned YES unset administratively down down

In the computers in the simulator i put, as requested from it:

pc ip: 10.87.200.10

subnet: 10.87.200.0

default gateway:10.87.200.254 (ip of switch)

pc ip: 10.87.201.10

subnet: 10.87.201.0

default gateway:10.87.201.254 (ip of switch)

If something else is needed please let me know.

Thanks so much

Router Con0 is now available

Press RETURN to get started!

Router>enable

Router#show cdp neighbor

Capability Codes: R - Router, T - Trans Bridge, B - Source Route Bridge

S - Switch, H - Host, I - IGMP, r - Repeater

Device ID Local Intrfce Holdtme Capability Platform Port ID

Router Ser 0/0 170 R 2621 Ser 0/0

switch Fas 0/12 170 SI 2950 Fas 0/1

switch Fas 0/12 170 SI 2950 Fas 0/0

Jorge

Most of the additional information that you posted is helpful. The information seems to show that the router interfaces are probably ok as configured. I would think that on the PC that the default gateway address should be the router address rather than the switch address.

The show cdp neighbor shows that the switches are 2950 which are layer 2 switches. So there is no possibility of routing login on them. We still do not know whether there is a single VLAN per switch or if there are more than one VLAN per switch. Can you clarify that?

It might also be helpful to have the subnet mask information from both router interfaces. And perhaps the output of show ip route from the router would also be helpful.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

All switches are working with the default vlan:

switch#show vlan

VLAN Name Status Ports

---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------

1 default active Fa0/1, Fa0/2, Fa0/3, Fa0/4

Fa0/5, Fa0/6, Fa0/7, Fa0/8

Fa0/9, Fa0/10, Fa0/11, Fa0/12

1002 fddi-default active

1003 token-ring-default active

1004 fddinet-default active

1005 trnet-default active

VLAN Type SAID MTU Parent RingNo BridgeNo Stp BrdgMode Trans1 Trans2

---- ----- ---------- ----- ------ ------ -------- ---- -------- ------ ------

1 enet 100001 1500 - - - - - 0 0

1002 fddi 101002 1500 - - - - - 0 0

1003 tr 101003 1500 - - - - - 0 0

1004 fdnet 101004 1500 - - - ieee - 0 0

1005 trnet 101005 1500 - - - ibm - 0 0

Remote SPAN VLANs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Primary Secondary Type Ports

------- --------- ----------------- ------------------------------------------

The problem was just in one, routers, maybe you can ignore it, is because im testing another things rigth now. But all subnet masks are 255.255.255.0.

If you need to know something else please let me know. Thanks so much and regards.

Jorge

From what you have posted I can not find a reason why the PC could not ping the router interface to which it is connected, and I would like to clarify whether that is really a problem or if I just did not understand correctly your description of the problem.

There is clearly a problem with the PC attempting to ping the other router interface (the one it is not connected to) or ping the other subnet. If the PC default gateway is the switch address (.254) then the PC will send anything to a remote subnet to its default gateway (the switch address). But these switches are layer 2 only switches and can not route to any remote destination. To correct this issue you need to configure the PCs default address as the router interface on that subnet. The router does have the ability to route to remote addresses (which the switch does not have).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card