cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EAP-TLS with windows - no supplicant required?

nickjacobs
Level 1
Level 1

I have setup and tested fine a network with EAP-TLS using microsoft cert server with an AP direct to ACS, handing off to AD for user auth. I had already installed Cisco Secure Services Client, which is great, but needs ot be purchased for wireless functions... So now to the problem....

I want to run without a supplicant, or at least a free supplicant (as I will have trouble convincing management for $50 a head for it). I cannot get it to work with just XP SP2 - am I doing something wrong or do I require an add-on, or could it be to do with my wireless card/ drivers not tieing in well enough with cisco extensions?

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You should be able to do this with XP SP2. When you try, what erros do you get on ACS and on the AP or WLC?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Doesn't even begin to negotiate with the AP for EAP (like it doesn't even attempt - maybe it can't detect the network type - windows says may be out of range or some other generic message) - other attempts the AP in debug say that windows is not responding properly (wpaie not found) like wondows didn't figure out the cipher scheme and responded incorrectly....

I don't think its an eap thing (not ACS, AD,) but wireless negotiation thing.

I just installed the intel proset full suite (not just drivers) which includes a dot1x supplicant and this also works fine like Cisco SSC.

And the next option to was upgrade to SP3 - and it works with no extra supplicant first go....

So problem solved but no explanation as to why....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: