Blocking CDP duplex mismatch from being logged

Answered Question
Jul 7th, 2008

Is there any way to block the duplex mismatch errors from CDP from being logged? I have a cisco switch which connects to a non-cisco switch which then connects to a number of devices including a Cisco ATA that does not support full duplex. On the cisco switch the port is autonegotiating to 100/Full, and so is the non-cisco.

When the ATA sends out its CDP packets it tells the cisco switch that it is using 10/half. The cisco switch enterprets that as being an error and logs it as:

%CDP-4-DUPLEX_MISMATCH: duplex mismatch discovered on FastEthernet0/6 (not half duplex), with SEP... Port 1 (half duplex).

It would be handy if I could prevent these from getting logged (or at least rate limit them)

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Correct Answer by Nagendra Kumar ... about 8 years 7 months ago

Hi,

Disabling CDP will solve this issue. If you need CDP, but not this messages, try "no cdp advertise-v2".

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Nagendra Kumar ... Mon, 07/07/2008 - 23:22

Hi,

Disabling CDP will solve this issue. If you need CDP, but not this messages, try "no cdp advertise-v2".

pthaynes Tue, 07/08/2008 - 15:01

Thanks,

That looks like it should solve the problem. All I lose is the native VLAN detection and VTP management domain - a small price to pay to get rid of the annoying messages in my logs.

Regards,

Peter

Actions

This Discussion