cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Blocking CDP duplex mismatch from being logged

pthaynes
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any way to block the duplex mismatch errors from CDP from being logged? I have a cisco switch which connects to a non-cisco switch which then connects to a number of devices including a Cisco ATA that does not support full duplex. On the cisco switch the port is autonegotiating to 100/Full, and so is the non-cisco.

When the ATA sends out its CDP packets it tells the cisco switch that it is using 10/half. The cisco switch enterprets that as being an error and logs it as:

%CDP-4-DUPLEX_MISMATCH: duplex mismatch discovered on FastEthernet0/6 (not half duplex), with SEP... Port 1 (half duplex).

It would be handy if I could prevent these from getting logged (or at least rate limit them)

Thanks in advance,

Peter

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Disabling CDP will solve this issue. If you need CDP, but not this messages, try "no cdp advertise-v2".

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Disabling CDP will solve this issue. If you need CDP, but not this messages, try "no cdp advertise-v2".

Thanks,

That looks like it should solve the problem. All I lose is the native VLAN detection and VTP management domain - a small price to pay to get rid of the annoying messages in my logs.

Regards,

Peter

This breaks Cisco Voice. Any other workarounds?

You can disable it at the port level usually, for example:

interface fa0/1

description <device name>
switchport access vlan 30
switchport mode access
no cdp enable

end

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card