cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP Traps Details - Experimental

arnold.sotis
Level 1
Level 1

How is SNMP Traps details experimental arrived? From Solarwinds server, why is there some SNMP Traps details (experimental = IP Address) and the destination IP Address is different to each other while to/from other router is the same. Please see sample attachment. Thanks

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is not a typical varbind for these traps. Do you have sniffer trace showing the raw traps from these devices? I have seen some hits in Google that points to this being something that might be coming from the manager (i.e. Solarwinds) rather than the agent.

As you can see (please refer to the attached file), in the same server box the IPs for SNMP traps details (experimental = IP address)is different in Sample 1 but in Sample 2 is the same.

Thanks

What I want to see is the raw SNMP trap PDU. My assertion is that this varbind is not actually being sent by the agent (i.e. the Cisco device), but is coming from the manager.

unfortunately we were not able to get sniff trace for the experimental having the same value as the source ip address.

We just don't know how snmp trap experimental is evaluated by a snmp server. We are wondering why Solarwinds works and able to get the snmp traps even if the ip add value of the experimental is different from the source ip add (in our testing, it was the solarwinds ip add).

When it's another snmp application (Clarity), snmp traps are unsuccessfully interpreted when experimental and source ip add values are different. No problem if its equal value.

We are thinking if there are other tweak configs on the source router to make it work.

I haven't seen this varbind in any IOS trap. We haven't had any customer mention it as far as I can tell. You might try asking someone at Solarwinds to see if they can shed some light on this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: