cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Point-to-multipoint connection 5ghz or 2,4ghz?

Hi guys,

I have 8 remote sites and i want to connect them to a central site. My question is: In this type of installation, i mean point to multipoint, all the remotes sites must be in the same channel? If no then i will use the 3 non-overlapped channel?

With this 3 channel i don't have enough to execute this configuration, so i must change the aironet that i have to 1242AG with 8 non-overlapped channel?.

Thank U

10 Replies 10

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

With that setup, if you only have one root bridge on the central site with an omni, you will only be able to setup a single channel. So all your remote sites will have to be configured as non-root bridge with the same channel and encryption. The more non-root bridges you have to one root bridge, the lower the throughput since it is a shared media.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you very much. My project consists in connect 8 security cameras via WIFI to the central site. Each camera will be connected directly to the Bridge 1310. I hope that the multicast can flow good in each of the links.

Have a nice day.

Be very careful...

Even if all sites run at "54Mbps" your real throughput will be more like 20Mbps. Add in some inefficiencies for hidden nodes, real-world issues (etc), and each camera will only have about 2Mbps BW presuming they're all running none-stop, same BW req's, etc..

Multicast over wireless can also do strange things, but that depends on your design...

Hi,

What do you mean about strange things, do you think if a choose the 5ghz is better for this configuration?

I think he is talking about multicast in general. I have seen in a lab with mesh with one WLC with one RAP and one MAP and around 8 WLC's. Each MAP had one D-LINK IP Camera and the 3750G switch locked up. You should test it out first just to make sure it will work.

-Scott

If your end-points are other bridges, then i think multicast should work fine.

If the end-points are the actual cameras, then WiFi treats multicast in the same way it treats broadcasts, ie - they're transmitted at lowest supported data rate, which is usually 1Mbps, even if all clients are running "54Mbps".

But even defining QoS over the link?

To resume my design:

8 remotes cameras connected directly to the aironet 1310, i mean directly without switch between them.

Finally this 8 cameras with his respecive bridges will be connected to the central site equiped with the same bridge and an omni antenna. This brige is connected to a cisco switch that can provide IGMP solution. At this point whe have a server who manage multicast to cameras and a DVR to record the cameras view.

Is this the only traffic that will pass through the link? Also, on the remote site, why don't you want to use directional antennas instead of an omni. The omni is needed on your main site where the root-bridge is located.

-Scott

Hi guys,

Here is tne map of the instalation. Thank you for our replying.

I steel finding the solution...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card