Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP VLAN traffic

Hi all,

Is it possible to graph (MRTG or similar) all traffic passing in and out of a VLAN. I have tried graphing the VLAN interface on a MLS that acts as the default gateway for that VLAN (ifdescr = Vlan180 for example), however, the traffic I see is a couple of hundred bytes per second - which is far too low. Am I missing something?

Apologies for post in the LAN section too - I couldn't work out how to move my post.

Cheers,

Ben

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The counters for the VLAN interface will only reflect the traffic destined for the switch. In order to get the actual transit traffic on a 3750 you would need to either SPAN the VLAN traffic to a monitor port, or sum the counters from the ports which are a member of that VLAN.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What type of device is this? You might have better luck polling the cseL3VlanInOctets and cseL3VlanOutOctets from the CISCO-SWITCH-ENGINE-MIB if you need hardware stats from Cat6500s.

Its a C3750G-12S

Cheers,

Ben

The counters for the VLAN interface will only reflect the traffic destined for the switch. In order to get the actual transit traffic on a 3750 you would need to either SPAN the VLAN traffic to a monitor port, or sum the counters from the ports which are a member of that VLAN.

jclarke - Thanks for the info. Can you advise - does running SPAN for a VLAN have significant impact on CPU or backplane usage?

Cheers,

Ben

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: